DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    DD 2003 Silverado Brakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DD 2003 Silverado Brakes
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted
Any of you GM techs know if the rear spacing on the 2 piston calipers mounting brackets are the same as the single piston calipers?

Wondering if I can't change to the dual piston calipers/brackets, rotors, and pads to have better brakes in the rear. I know the individual components are different for each...but I'm talking about swapping all of the single piston stuff with the dual piston stuff if possible.

Any help appreciated... Thanks!

***EDIT*** Sorry, 1500 4WD Z71

Maxx Levell

If you're gonna be a bear...be a GRIZZLY!

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I know the rotor is thicker on the duel piston set up, You might need to a parts store and look at both set ups side by side.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
Ok...I went ahead and pulled the trigger yesterday, and the parts definitely interchange. You do have to replace the calipers/bracket, the rotors, and the pads. It should help some with stopping when I'm pulling my trailer anyway. Although, I can't really say I had any issues with the single piston calipers in the rear to speak of as far as stopping. If 1 works well, 2 should work great lol. Peace of mind I suppose.

Maxx Levell

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFC:
I know the rotor is thicker on the duel piston set up, You might need to a parts store and look at both set ups side by side.

Correct...the rotor is thicker, and larger in diameter also.

Maxx Levell

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maxx Levell:
I went ahead and pulled the trigger yesterday, and the parts definitely interchange. You do have to replace the calipers/bracket, the rotors, and the pads. It should help some with stopping when I'm pulling my trailer anyway. Although, I can't really say I had any issues with the single piston calipers in the rear to speak of as far as stopping. If 1 works well, 2 should work great lol. Peace of mind I suppose.

Your trailer brakes and controller also need to be working correctly in the event of a panic/ emergency stop. This is important when towing with 1500 which I do. Inspecting, adjusting trailer brake shoes and confirming brake operation of each wheel is wise maintenance.

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post