New
Find
Notify
Tools

RV FOUL WATER
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Ive been battling this issue for years.The water out of my rv storage tank always has a foul oder to it.Ive flushed the system through the taps for hours and hours.Even sent it to the dealer to have the tank sanitized and they seemed perplexed even how to do it.
There is only a water spicket style fill and no other ways to get anything into the tank.
Anyone have a solution to this issue?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I always add Camco Drinking Water Freshener (available at Walmart) to mine when I fill. I still don’t drink the water, but I haven’t had any odor issues.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you are not drinking the water and just using it for showers, dishes etc. I would put a good amount of bleach in it and flush the system out of each outlet really good. Then I would add a cap full or so with each fill up.

Posts: 27 | Location: Pen Argyl, PA | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes on the bleach. I put a half cup of bleach down the fill hose before filling, hook it up and fill. Half of a cup in a 90 gal. tank and I can smell the bleach in the shower. We only us for shower and flushing. Even the dog gets Arrowhead.

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I also put a few ounces of bleach in... I would never consume water from the tanks. I bring bottled water for drinking and a few gallon jugs for cooking & making coffee. I had a few instances of funky water so now I drain my tank if I wont be racing for a few weeks. I also let my garden hose run for a minute or two before I connect to the MH & fill, I feel like that flushes any stagnant water (and bacteria) that may have been laying in the hose. No issues since.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
this^^^

I'm told by experienced RVers that the smelly water typically is a result of water sitting in the hot water heater for weeks or more and I know several racers that drain their HWH when parked between races. You also may have to flush the HWH with vinegar too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Yes I added a few ounces of bleach every fill up in my MH and Camper before that

Possibly some RV anti freeze got pumped into your hot water heater at some point and it is nasty smelling once the heater gets hot

I never used AF in my MH other than in the traps

I drained the system, blew it out with air, AF in the traps only and removed my WP and filter during winters

Learned the hard way about getting AF in the hot water heater....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i struggled with that as well...i started draining between races.

Recently I started putting a little bit of hot tub disinfectant when filling the fresh water. Left the hot water tank full for two weeks, drained it yesterday. No funk.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Is it both the hot and cold? Water heaters anode rod can be stinky

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6360 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
I second the rv antifreeze. I got some in my tank and it took several flushes and a generous amount of bleach to get the smell out. Definitely dump the water tanks between races

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Do you guys leave your water heater on all the time? I just turn it on about maybe an hour before i shower. I wonder if it is on all the time it will cause a smell? I also have used 1/2 cup bleach in the water tank. We do not drink the rv water just use it to shower. If im not racing for a couple weeks i will drain the water. But usually i dont have a problem with smelly water.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1987 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I put a hose bib on the bottom of my water heater and drain it when I'm not using it. It cured my water odor issues.

Posts: 621 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I only use my water heater 2-3 times per year (only carry 60 gallons so typically use track showers), but I don't drain it or do anything special during the season. I've never had a water odor issue.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Is it both the hot and cold? Water heaters anode rod can be stinky

This in have heard removing it will rid the smell after a good flush

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I installed a new anode rod at the beginning of the season because there was nothing left of the one installed and I did have smelly water about 1 month later.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
In my house, I had to change from the standard anode rod to a zinc one to stop the sulfur smell. The iron in my well water reacted with the aluminum anode rod & gave the water a sulfur smell. That was before I got my current MH. When I had foul water in the MH, I believe the biggest steps were the ones I posted above - draining the tank for longer periods and running the hose a bit to flush out any stagnant water instead of introducing it to the tank.

And for the love of god, It's a 'Water Heater'.... not a 'hot water heater'.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And for the love of god, It's a 'Water Heater'.... not a 'hot water heater

Picky Picky Picky

Billy gets "triggered" easily and words really push him over the edge.... Falling of chair laughing

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Stan Deming
posted Hide Post
When foul water smell appears I drain the fresh water tank and water heater. I fill the fresh water tank about 1/4 full and then add a water bottle filled with chlorine. Fill the water heater and then run all the faucets including shower until the lines are filled with the chlorine water. Let that sit in there for a day or two and completely eliminates the foul smell. Drain the water and put in fresh and good to go. Do this a couple times each year.
I also don’t drink from the fresh water. We drink bottled water.

Posts: 46 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My water heater tank is bypassed...i like cold showers!! Drain the water after every trip and have flucshed it for hours.
Im going to try the bleach/chlorine method.Unfortunately be next year now

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 69dart
posted Hide Post
Do you filter the water when filing up the tank? I started using the blue inline filters and they make a world of difference. The green filters from walmart are even better but take forever. They are just carbon filters. We have an additional bacterialastic sink filter and are able to drink the water.

Posts: 27 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post