DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Where to send an MSD box for repair?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to send an MSD box for repair?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Called Techwest on Monday 01/06/20 left a message and they called me today 01/08/20. Everything there is good. I have a MSD-3 box that is in a car I bought and need it looked at. All my boxes since I heard about Techwest years ago have been serviced by them. My experience has been steller. I have recommended to others with same outcome as they have thanked me for telling them about Techwest. I have no indication if this box is good or bad but for peace of mind I will send it and make sure. They do have up dates for the MSD-3 which addresses the intermintant retard problem.

I also called Monday 1/6/20. Still no call back.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
I also called Monday 1/6/20. Still no call back.

MSD always answers the phone….just saying…..

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of deadon1578
posted Hide Post
I have tried sending Techwest an email about a month ago, then 2 phone calls and messages over the past 2 weeks....crickets! Kind of makes your mind up, obviously someone I don't want to do business with.

Posts: 47 | Location: md | Registered: July 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadon1578:
I have tried sending Techwest an email about a month ago, then 2 phone calls and messages over the past 2 weeks....crickets! Kind of makes your mind up, obviously someone I don't want to do business with.

Exactly. Like markemark said, MSD always answers and they did when I called earlier this week. Box is on its way to them. Estimate to repair: $39-$200.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Told ya to try one of those other numbers you googled. I tried with zero response when I decided back to MSD.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Exactly. Like markemark said, MSD always answers and they did when I called earlier this week. Box is on its way to them. Estimate to repair: $39-$200.

183N, I'd like to follow up on this and find out the results of your repairs. What say you ??

I was contacted by a racer today for my opinion on what I would do with a 24 yr old 7a3 that had a problem with the 2-step and burn out limiter not working. I told him the truth. If it were me, I’d throw it in the garbage and buy a new 7al3 that is much improved from this older model ignition box.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The repair cost $108 shipped back to me, and took a week and a half or two weeks. When I got the box back it had a paper with test results. It said that all three steps of the rev limiter weren’t working properly when the box came in, and afterwards they tested good. There were also a bunch of other things they tested on it that all checked out.

I thought the price and service were good.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
After trying for two weeks to get ahold of techwest I gave up. Called msd and got a ra number right away. Sent the 7al2 box back on Saturday a week ago. Just hit a call this morning that my part was repaired and I should expect to have it back in my hands Wednesday or Thursday next week. Cost was only $109.11 including shipping. Still waiting on a call back from techwest that I expect is not coming.

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
quote:

183N, I'd like to follow up on this and find out the results of your repairs. What say you ??

I was contacted by a racer today for my opinion on what I would do with a 24 yr old 7a3 that had a problem with the 2-step and burn out limiter not working. I told him the truth. If it were me, I’d throw it in the garbage and buy a new 7al3 that is much improved from this older model ignition box.

That's exactly what I did! Thanks for the advise Mark! After our discussion yesterday, I didn't want a repaired 24 year old ignition box to be a culprit of a loss due to another failure. I did order the grid for a replacement and was glad I got 24 years of use out of the older product. With new technology available I felt better with replacement vs repair.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post