DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Oil pan for BBC Mark IV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil pan for BBC Mark IV
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I’m building a new 555” that’s going to be very similar to my current engine. This way we have a spare that can go in either my or my wife’s dragster. The engine will make enough power to make a 1905# dragster go 7.30s.

What do you like for oil pans? I have a Stef’s aluminum pan on my current engine. It’s a nice pan and I had them add a sight glass so I can see the oil level from the outside which is convenient. There are two things I don’t like about it: 1) it’s very sensitive to oil level. It is a 6 quart pan and if I have a half a quart too much oil in it, it slows the car down 2 mph and .04. 2) the kick out requires the nuts on the right hand side of the engine to be installed by removing plugs from the bottom of the pan and going in from there. It’s a little bit annoying to get the nuts on, especially during a thrash. And it could be hard to get access to the nuts to remove them if the engine is damaged since the screen can get busted up and block access to the nuts.

My wife’s engine has a steel Moroso 21049. It seems fine, all the bolts go in externally so it bolts up easily.

Whichever way we go, it’ll have a Moroso 22163 billet pump. I’d also prefer to stay in the 6 or 7 quart range so I don’t have 10 quarts of oil to get and keep hot.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i like olsen pans.check them out

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I use the 21049/22163 on both the 598 and the 632.
This has been a good combo for me. As you know that billet pump just plain out works. 60-70 all day long.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:

I have this combo on my 632 as well. Little pressure drop in the shutdown, but I also think I'm getting a little too much oil upstairs.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Milodon 31187 and Titan billet sportsman pump for many years. The pan holds 6 quarts has a rear sump, windage tray design and provides great oil control under braking. This pan with some minor clearencing will work with the billet pump. I have two exact sets ups on two different dragsters.

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of can'thitthetree
posted Hide Post
I have run both the moroso 21049 (currently on) and the milidon 31187. The 21049 is a half inch more shallow than the milidon. I run them 6 quarts total with both pans. The milidon I believe lost less pressure in shut down but both are close. The milidon has cracked 3 times over about 6 years. I am still finding out about the moroso only been on one year though. I did buy the moroso from Rehr Morrison they were better priced than summit even with my discount and paying shipping.

Posts: 28 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: December 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

I have this combo on my 632 as well. Little pressure drop in the shutdown, but I also think I'm getting a little too much oil upstairs.

I had to do a little mod on the inside tray for the 6.7 rod.You run any restrictor? The Merlin 3 yes, The Dart none.The only thing i don't like about the Merlin compared to the Dart is the threaded area is exposed 1/4-1/2 of lower thread showing the main bolts when installed. The Dart.
a complete sealed blind hole. More meat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

I had to do a little mod on the inside tray for the 6.7 rod.You run any restrictor? The Merlin 3 yes, The Dart none.The only thing i don't like about the Merlin compared to the Dart is the threaded area is exposed 1/4-1/2 of lower thread showing the main bolts when installed. The Dart.
a complete sealed blind hole. More meat.

Dart block, no restrictors.

I almost always run Super Comp with this car, and the vac pump pulls more oil than I'd like.

I ran it on the 1/8 mile one weekend this year and the oil in the vac tank after each pass was minimal, which leads me to believe there is too much oil getting up there in the back half. This is with Pro-Filer conventional heads, no drain lines to the pan or anything.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post