DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    1/0 battery cable.... Quality differences between brands ???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1/0 battery cable.... Quality differences between brands ???
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted
Starting to gather up all the electronic and wiring components and while looking at 1/0 cable it seems there's quite a price difference between brands. I would assume EWS xtra flexible 600 volt made in the USA should be a better quality than a house brand or even XS Power's own line ????

Is there an actual quality difference and if so is it actually needed ?? Anybody have any good places to deal with for connectors and such, I've been using Mcmaster Carr but their shyt is getting more expensive and noticed the quality is slipping a bit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HS professor,

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I know it isn't 1/0 but, we use this brand all the time. It is flexible and we've never had any issues with it.

https://www.quickcar.com/2-awg...attery-cable-57-101/

https://www.quickcar.com/2-awg...attery-cable-57-103/

Posts: 910 | Location: The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard... | Registered: April 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I use the EastPenn welding cable. But i work on trucks for a living. Yes it is in the car also.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
If anyone has suggestions where to look for 6ga also, I know I would appreciate it!

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
If anyone has suggestions where to look for 6ga also, I know I would appreciate it!

I recently got some 4ga from Delcity and it seems nice. I'll be honest I didnt shop around for the best price. I had a large order of small wire and terminals so I just ordered from them.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
McMaster-Carr

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the Windy Nation brand? I've seen them on Home Depot's website and on Amazon for decent price. 6ga and 1/0 for the OP.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of rallye bob
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22 | Location: usa | Registered: December 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
McMaster-Carr

That's why I made this post lol

I have a Mcmaster local, they get $139 for 25' while Summit pro shop is $121 for 50' Specs are very similar.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I will say this about McMaster. I don't know why but I was hesitant to use them for the longest time. Maybe because everybody recommended them. LOL

Anyway, I placed an order from them about a year ago. Great price and the shipping was some of the fastest I've ever seen.

Ordered a bunch of stainless bolts the other day and holy moly they're already here. Great service and products. They have my business now for sure.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5307 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
I purchase all my wire from Waytek. I think 1 gauge wire is more than required but to each his own. I use what they call welding cable, thinner strands of wire = more flexibility. www.waytekwire.com

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have been using Taylor wire products 1/0 cable from Summit. Silicon jacket and very flexible. About $125 for 20ft and comes with a couple of 3/8 crimp on cable ends.

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will say this about McMaster. I don't know why but I was hesitant to use them for the longest time. Maybe because everybody recommended them. LOLAnyway, I placed an order from them about a year ago. Great price and the shipping was some of the fastest I've ever seen.

McMaster is amazing !!! Any yes, their shipping is crazy fast. If I order by 10am it will be at my doorstep when I get home from work Eek Like anywere, you have to price check. They're on point with some stuff, but way over on others. I needed some 1"x1" square stock aluminum the other day, McMaster was $30 for a 5' length Fazzio's was $17 for a 10' length, both 6061.

They have just about ANY nut and bolt you will ever need too !!!

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been using Taylor wire products 1/0 cable from Summit. Silicon jacket and very flexible. About $125 for 20ft and comes with a couple of 3/8 crimp on cable ends.

I kinda agree too, but I'm gonna do it once and forget about it lol. I've been using the solder terminals from McMaster heat em up, stick the wire in and they hold incredible !!!

I was looking at that exact cable Steve, I've always had good luck with Taylor stuff.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
McMaster is amazing !!! Any yes, their shipping is crazy fast. If I order by 10am it will be at my doorstep when I get home from work Eek Like anywere, you have to price check. They're on point with some stuff, but way over on others. I needed some 1"x1" square stock aluminum the other day, McMaster was $30 for a 5' length Fazzio's was $17 for a 10' length, both 6061.They have just about ANY nut and bolt you will ever need too !!!

Fazzio is building a huge new building in Howell slightly closer to you than the current location in Farmingdale, NJ - if you went down Adelphia rd. then you drove right past the new building. Its about 1.5 miles from my house - I can't wait!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I bought this hyd cable crimper a few years back, works awesome and worth every penny

https://www.amazon.com/Hydraul...id=1579791284&sr=8-4

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fazzio is building a huge new building in Howell slightly closer to you than the current location in Farmingdale, NJ - if you went down Adelphia rd. then you drove right past the new building. Its about 1.5 miles from my house - I can't wait!

They're open now, was there Saturday Big Grin

Place is absolutely HUGE !!!! Gonna take a while to fill it up, but I'm sure they will. Love Fazzio's

Holy shyt that crimper looks awesome for $40 !!! I have a weakness for cool tools you rarely use lol

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
One thing that some fail to consider is the rating of the insulation material(covering) on the conductor they are choosing to use...

The conditions the wire is being used in should be considered. Temperature of area it is installed in, oil and fuel resistance, abrasion resistance, etc...

The insulation rating is as important as the ampacity rating of the conductor...

Dan

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 226 | Location: ... --- ... | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For best conductivity go with the cable that have the most smallest strands bundled,....like a welding cable wire.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:
For best conductivity go with the cable that have the most smallest strands bundled,....like a welding cable wire.

Great point. That Taylor cable I got from Summit has very fine strands, plus the silicon jacket makes it very flexible