DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Chrome moly tubing for dragster dolly
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chrome moly tubing for dragster dolly
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Catapults! I wish I had videoed the situations I have seen at the track.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Vern, I have a couple of grocery cart frames that look to be a good start for what your doing.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I witnessed one right across the way from me @66
Brand new 260". Painted pearl blue and white. The guy let go of the handle and over it came. I have never seen an air tank travel so far EVER.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My friend Ron doesn’t weigh very much. Right after he got his dolly built it launched him over the front of his car. One of the funniest things I have ever seen!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

What, do you mean like this one? Big Grin

https://youtu.be/-Jvw6NLjxLI

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
OMG, that's 1 cubic. CM from having to call 911. I have idea that includes a small safety cable system that should prevent the pull over while being moved/rolled.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
My dragster came with a homemade dolly that was just plain dangerous. Ordered the "dragster dolly" and have had no trouble lifting or moving the car since. I use a wireless winch so loading and unloading are controllable.

A dolly is also handy for moving the car around my driveway and garage. It allows for a much sharper turning radius than the car has.

The one in the video was not a "dragster dolly". Tire size and bar angles matter.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Do you hook the winch to the dolly or the car?

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
The store bought dragster dollies I've seen, one brand, all had terrible wheel bearing/axle assemblies and I have had to weld several of them for people. The tires were way under weight and a lot of them would roll the tires right of the wheels while turning. Building your own is best. I get my moly from AED in Indianapolis.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
what typically is the weight of the front end on a dragster? This thread is interesting, and I have an old dolly I likely could modify since I also have trouble loading and not getting hung up. Have a smaller 2000# winch that would easily pull it in already

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
OMG, that's 1 cubic. CM from having to call 911. I have idea that includes a small safety cable system that should prevent the pull over while being moved/rolled.

Great idea really! Bottom of dolly to bottom of car a foot or so back.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
As soon as I finish my Cerakote oven project I might just start on a dolly. One project at a time is about all this ole man can handle. I'll try to post a picture if I ever get it done. LOL Big Grin

Just for the record we named the dolly that launched my friend Ron "Mighty Mouse" since that's what he looked like flying through the air. He even made a name plate for it!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Do you hook the winch to the dolly or the car?

I also use a wireless winch with a dolly and hook the winch to the car.

I feel pretty fortunate that we had zero incidents loading dragsters for 15 years with one man on the dolly and another in the seat driving the car.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
I hook the winch around the rear end. Mine has to be backed in. It can never roll at me coming out, the trailer is usually jacked higher in the front, so it can never roll away from me going in. I would think if your front loading, hooking to the dolly might be as good as any place.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post