DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Bracket Racing The Gen3 Hemi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bracket Racing The Gen3 Hemi
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted
Since there is a thread dedicated to racing the popular LS engine, I figured I'd start one for the Gen3 Hemi. I realize there will probably only be a handful of people doing this, I will soon be one of them.

I am working on a project to put the Gen3 Hemi in a GM G body, more specifically an 87 Cutlass. Yes I know it would have made more sense to just drop a LS in it, but they don't call me The Bender for no reason......

I am using an 09 6.1 as the starting point, I had the stock heads CNC'ed by a reputable shop with a good amount of late model Hemi experience. I assembled the short block with a Manley stroker rotating assembly that made the 6.1 (370 cu in) into a 420 cu in engine. I used a pretty mild cam (224/228 @.050) which would be very streetable and a 11.25:1 Compression ratio, so I can run pump gas. This is a carbureted engine with a dual plane intake. The Cutlass is a 10.5x28 tire, stock suspension deal with a Ford 9" and an FTI glide and converter. It would probably be a little quicker with a 3 speed trans, but I thought I'd just go with a Glide instead. The single biggest issue with this project was the headers, nothing that is made for the Hemi would fit the G body chassis, so custom headers were required. Everything else was not a big deal, I did use some universal engine mounts and I found a rear sump Milodon pan desigend for the drag pak Challengers that worked perfectly. Reid makes a bellhousing to adapt the trans to the Hemi and a custom converter was required, aren't all converters custom? I used an MSD Hemi6 programmable ignition to run the coil on plug setup that uses the factory cam and crank sensors.

Like the LS these engines perform well without having to run a ton of compression or cam and have a strong bottom end and very good flowing heads. I have not made it to the track yet, but will in a month or two.

I'll report back when I have some on track numbers for you.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 7110
posted Hide Post
sub'd. Very interested to see how this goes!

Posts: 1598 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Very interested. I have been thinking a lot lately about this. Just not convinced it will run 4.70 in my dragster, without spending a ton more than my wedge.
I guess if it will run mid 5" in the G body I could have some hope..lol Yeah, wishful thinking..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
Very interested. I have been thinking a lot lately about this. Just not convinced it will run 4.70 in my dragster, without spending a ton more than my wedge.
I guess if it will run mid 5" in the G body I could have some hope..lol Yeah, wishful thinking..

Dave

LOL, with this mild motor, I'm hoping for mid-high 6's

This would be closer to what you are talking about.....

http://www.hughesengines.com/T.../21740hpgen3hemi.php

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:

Dave

LOL, with this mild motor, I'm hoping for mid-high 6's

This would be closer to what you are talking about.....

http://www.hughesengines.com/T.../21740hpgen3hemi.php

Hmmm, throw a baby blower on it and might get close to 1000 hp out of it..lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Quite a few Hellcat type engines have been upgraded to produce that kind of power....

https://www.holley.com/blog/po...er_to_parts_unknown/

I believe he has recently run in the very low 7 second range.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but to start out with a 40,000.00 hellcat engine and then modify it would kind of defeat the idea of a cheap go fast engine. LOL.

What is the cost to port a set of Gen 3 heads, then put bigger valves in them? A K1 or ? stroker kit would run around 3,000.00, FI or Holley injection, MSD for the coil on plug and timing control, then the rest of the accessories (intake, pan, cam, lifters, etc)

I was just reading about a new 6.1 block for 1600.00.
I'd think maybe 10,000.00 and add a power adder would be close to get to that 1000 HP level.

Not to mention the satisfaction of it not being a chevy. Big Grin

Dave

DC: Now if I just had a spare 10 grand plus laying around...

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, but to start out with a 40,000.00 hellcat engine and then modify it would kind of defeat the idea of a cheap go fast engine. LOL.

What is the cost to port a set of Gen 3 heads, then put bigger valves in them? A K1 or ? stroker kit would run around 3,000.00, FI or Holley injection, MSD for the coil on plug and timing control, then the rest of the accessories (intake, pan, cam, lifters, etc)

I was just reading about a new 6.1 block for 1600.00.
I'd think maybe 10,000.00 and add a power adder would be close to get to that 1000 HP level.

Not to mention the satisfaction of it not being a chevy. Big Grin

Dave

DC: Now if I just had a spare 10 grand plus laying around...

You can buy a used Hellcat engine for way less than 40K......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know. I was thinking crate engine.. Used go from 14,000- 18,000.00 on flea bay..lol
But I would start with a new or used bare block and go from there everything would have to be replaced anyway.

Dave