DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How much slower is a coan bracket transmission brake valvebody?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much slower is a coan bracket transmission brake valvebody?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Than a JW fast Pro tree transmission brake? I think it's like 070 - 080 slower. Do you think that's possible?

The DXP Street 66 Chevy II is 004 on a 370 Pro Tree at Bradenton and it is racing at SGMP Lights Out race. I know that place is 400 Pro Tree.

I'm thinking about putting a Coan bracket brake in the 66 Chevy II for SGMP so the guy isn't red lighting. If my calculations are right he'll 040 or 050 green up there SGMP 400 Pro Tree. I'd build the guy two transmissions to take for adjustment but he doesn't sound excited about changing transmissions if he's red. What would you do? Send him with a transmission he'll be red or slightly late? I'm definitely not gonna suggest they change the valvebody in order to keep it simple, they'll have plenty of other things to attend to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I would just send it.too much high energy loss with the coan It's so Hot

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is a Coan bracket brake I could replace the JW Pro tree brake with. Anyone else coming up with these same findings from a 370 Pro Tree anywhere else, in comparison to SGMP? Send the guy up there with this, he could be 070 or 080 letting go like a champ!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
I would just send it.too much high energy loss with the coan It's so Hot

I was thinking that too, good observation. The fast brake sets the tire different (quicker) and we need to look like a jacked up 4 wheel drive when it grabs traction. That puts another variable in it. Go with what you know gets ya down the track with the possibility of a red light or make an adjustment before you even get there. I did tell him if he mashed the button hard that might work, with the fast brake.

We gonna go that route, good point. Thanks.

DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
There are several buttons available to slow him down that much.

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'd just go with a different button too. Decades ago I broke a case and didn't have my spare with me. I put a friends transmission in that had a Coan bracket brake. I had to take .05 out of my box. I used Hipster brakes.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'd hate to lower the leave rpm because it goes down consistent with low 1.2 high 1.1 60 ft. It has a new power plant far advanced potential for rpm than that of the time slips in here. These things are kinda finicky on a 275 dot radial tire, we need to set the tire azz off the car up, to keep the nose down, but lowering the leave rpm will be a last resort if I can't get a proper button in it,in time. Might bring on wheel stand though.

I'm thinking dropping the leave rpm from 4400 to 4000 will kill 030 off the reaction time. Am I close in my thinking?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think I would go with the adjustable button idea. keeps it simple.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Man that sure was a long winded way to say you’re not going to take the (good) advice given to get one of the slow/adjustable buttons.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:

Man that sure was a long winded way to say you’re not going to take the (good) advice given to get one of the slow/adjustable buttons.

The car has a medium slow button in it now which actually needs to be a hair slower for the 370 tree at Bradenton, as you can see according to the time slips above, previously posted.

I'm still in the early stage of emphasizing the significance of the difference between the 370 Pro Tree and the 400 Pro Tree.

I've raced both tracks with my car. The DXP Street car in question has only raced Bradenton. The top time slip from my car (370 pro tree) Bradenton and bottom from SGMP (400 Pro Tree), hasn't explained the significance in the difference well enough yet, I can only presume.

You can lead the horse to water but you can't make em drink it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mike a just n time long throw adjustable button is the answer. You can go between 370 and 400 trees with a quick adjustment. check it out..

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
Mike a just n time long throw adjustable button is the answer. You can go between 370 and 400 trees with a quick adjustment. check it out..

We couldn't get the 4150 intake on it, in time. It's either bolt the 4500 intake we have on it, with a 250 nitrous jet and run in Open Comp, or pull the plug on the Lights Out race all ogether.

Even with a 250 jet the car will run middle of the pack DXP Street, which allows for a 300 hp jet per the rules