DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    pros and cons on aluminum VB
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pros and cons on aluminum VB
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
I'm in the market for a th400 TB valve body. I see more and more companies offering an aluminum version over the factory cast iron.
I seem to remember problems in the past with spool and manual valves not being happy getting along in the aluminum environment.
Has the technology improved to where the aluminum VB are reliable and repeatable?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Some are certainly better than others. Manual valve bores are tricky and in my opinion if they are not finished honed, they may have problems.

Hutch

Posts: 24 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I had a new ATD Hipster's Billet Turbo 400 1+2 Trans Brake Valve Body installed in my transmission this summer. Although I only have 80 runs on this, it works great in either gear.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have been running a BTE for most of this year. So far ,so good . Its a lot faster than my old iorn one.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I think the issue is a longivity issue as they become inconsistent as the aluminum wears in the bores. I had one and it was very quick reacting at first but after a couple years not so much.

Coan just released an aluminum transbrake VB for the glide, they have always had very high quality products, maybe theirs will be different

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
You would think it would have a steel sleeve pressed or pinned in? Any reason they do not?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4005 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
ditto for HUTCH.

Manual valve bore is everything. FTI makes all of there VB in house on CNC machines. we offer clean neutral,street brakes,probrakes,engine braking transbrakes for th400's.

We manufacture billet VB for the powerglides as well including pro versions,bracket versions,all gear versions.

in our powerglide aluminum Vb the regulator is a stainless valve in a stainless body as a cartridge.

ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WINK WINK OUR black Friday sale might have something to do with our billet Valve bodies!!!!!

https://ftiperformance.com/Bil...vebody-FTI-F2514.htm

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
Grag,
What is the black Friday sale?

Thanks

Posts: 133 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Pro's less weight,designed for racing from start(at least FTI) and most have quicker react. Cheap weight reduction with benefits is always a plus.

Cons I can't afford one for little while. LM broke dyck AO.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
A lot of cons here, Is the only pros a weight reduction? Or am I missing something?

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
what cons? One mentioned wear of bores.Greg seems to have that covered.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFC:
I have been running a BTE for most of this year. So far ,so good . Its a lot faster than my old iorn one.

What is a lot faster about it? How are you quantifying this?

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
what cons? One mentioned wear of bores.Greg seems to have that covered.

Ok your cons cover, pros are what? Light weight ... any thing else?

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Same car and same ET, .975 with the old iorn VB . 1.085 with the new one. Same old moroso button to be around .007 at the hit.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFC:
Same car and same ET, .975 with the old iorn VB . 1.085 with the new one. Same old moroso button to be around .007 at the hit.

Your old VB had to be in pretty bad shape to have to add that much into your box

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
while fti says .015 quicker I think .101 does mean something else changed or old VB was worn out,hard to see cast iron version wearing any in a race car.

The .015 quicker would be huge pro if hitting pro tree. IMO but hell I'm getting old some day just not soon.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It was a name brand i bought new three years ago to replace a pro brake . The car is mainly used for FB and i didn't want to use a button for backing up. Yes it was crazy slow but worked well when i would put the box in to run top.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you watch Fti's videos on youtube Greg shows a little about why his is faster and how to properly shim the plunger in case. This distance is critical for speed. I do not own one but i have shimmed plungers this way before.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the black friday sale Greg had mentioned!

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...5460652/m/3527063286

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post