DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster headers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster headers
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
https://frontstreet.media/2019...reaks-all-the-rules/

The man did some incredibly good work.....and not just exhaust

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Al, both WOT/bracket racing and S/C.

I guess that's a good thing. I'd bet your converter setup has a bunch to do with what your seeing.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
here i go Nick since gxp7903 is MIA. FACT: me and my brother weigh 20lbs different cause........PBR's are just good. and you dial my car exactly .020 different and be dead on accordingly.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Michael, I've easily had different drivers, nitrous bottles and a lot of other things that affected the weight of my car, and it most definitely caused the E.T. change.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

I guess that's a good thing. I'd bet your converter setup has a bunch to do with what your seeing.

Then my friend's with dragsters who have come to the same conclusion must have my converter too. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Maybe some remember when the Performance Welding down swept headers flooded the market around 2004?
I bought a new set from Rich Ciglers (Ron’s brother). Best investment I made and a fantastic price. I asked Ron how I was able to get a set for $750 and he said Rich was making money of credit card rebates. lol
Rumor was he acquired a **** load of polished SS tube and just cranked out a bunch. It is true they take a little maintenance to keep them bright but I never saw it as a big deal. Primary would discolor from my primer plus. I just wiped it with a Brown scotch brite pad and finished with aluminum polish past. Maybe an hours work ever 3rd or 4th race event. Unlike Chromed steel, no matter how funky the primary looked, you could always get them looking nice with some elbow grease. Ohh they never rust out so essentially a life time header with reasonable care.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Then my friend's with dragsters who have come to the same conclusion must have my converter too. Wink Big Grin

You have friends!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
too many somedays

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No way around weight NOT making a difference.. cant tell you how many times Ive put the bottle on, or took the bottle off on the same day and saw about .015-.018 in ET. and that is with a few completely different converters, To eliminate that talk. and the faster you go the more it will take, this is on a high 4.50s dragster.
Friend of mine drove my car going 4.70s, he is 80 lbs more and was .08 slow same day. Another time with a bigger motor he was .06 slow, same friend, same weight difference.

Luke Bogacki even talks about about weight and he says .007 in ET per 10 lbs of weight roughly. Pretty sure hes got more experience than a lot of ppl here in multiple cars and types of racing.

As to the header question, very little difference in performance. Assuming its in the ball park of the application.

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
So I glass beaded the header flanges and the sleeves where some cracks in welds developed...

Re-Welded the sleeves with a spot of Mig on top and more underneath where it can't be seen......

Tig welded the tubes back to the flanges on the head side of the tubes.....grind/sand the flanges back smooth and clean up the entries....

Tig weld a hole I don't use anymore (EGT) and sand it smooth..

Other than those cracks in some welds and one flange separating from the tubes, they are still in good shape....

Headers will get recoated ceramic silver....and look almost as good as new.... Smile

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Send them to Gene at CCC 860-528-8281

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Ed that is where they are going....

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Which are better up or down swept?

Posts: 2 | Location: chardon,ohio | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the only reason to consider upswept headers today is if you haul two dragsters on the floor of your trailer.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
^^^^^That and if you don’t want to burn your legs.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I’ve had both up and down.

Up, you will occasionally burn an arm or hand.

Down, it’s legs and knees

“I’ll take legs and knees for $100 Alex”

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Not for nothing, and it really does not matter, but Nitro Plate was the bomb.
Damn shame they had to step away, They had the market, and the best damn customer service in the market.
I had some under coating bubbling happen, humidity in Florida.......
Crisco said, we want them right, send 'em back!
I think that was about a year before they got out of the market, and outside of exterior abuse they are still shiny.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
they "stepped away" because they did shyt work. Worse coating of headers I ever had and it was free from winning a gift certificate at a race. No one's header coating compares to CCC.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My headers were done by NitroPlate and have held up pretty well.

I’d have to guess it was around 6-8 years ago.

They get beat up from burnouts and rocks but still looked decent. Clean up with steel wool and metal polish

They had a great deal going back then around the holidays with a flat price and I think free return shipping

Not long after mine were done they shut down

I have no complaints about their work

I’m sure I still have the shipping carton they used to return them and it’ll get used to send them out again. I made a plywood crate previously to ship them out.