DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster headers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster headers
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted
My Dynatech BB Chev dragster headers need to be replaced

They are about 17 years old and have been good but have some issues now

My Choices are Dynatech chrome.....Kooks polished stainless or maybe Fab shop as a far third choice

I like the looks of either the Dynatechs or the Kooks, both with merged collectors....

Looking to hear any negatives or positives on any brand before I buy a set

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
non are quicker or faster than the other when comparing same size.

My advice is wait till black friday and buy the headers you think look best...

https://www.biondoracing.com/category/headers.html

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320 is dead on

Posts: 9 | Location: illinois | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at Stainless works headers? I bought a new set this year and other than being heavy I thought the fit and finish was a little nicer than any of the others I’ve had.

Posts: 59 | Location: D3 | Registered: May 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
I believe the fab shops are about 11 lbs lighter.
I had mine coated for ease of cleaning.
They were beautiful polished but I don’t think they stay that way long.
I had chrome dynatechs and loved them too.
No difference in et
Both 2 1/4 to 2 3/8 step with merge collector

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc3171:
Have you looked at Stainless works headers? I bought a new set this year and other than being heavy I thought the fit and finish was a little nicer than any of the others I’ve had.

Very happy with my stainless works headers. Got them in late 2017.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Personally I like the Fab Shop Stainless headers myself. The polished stainless doesn't rust and being polished they just need a good cleaning (I do the works toilet bowl cleaning method once a year) and keep them clean weekly. The gold doesn't bother my and I don't have to worry about coating flaking or scratching. The one benefit to the Fab Shops are they are lighter as mentioned above. I agree with Ed that you won't see a motor performance gain with them being the same size, but could see it on the slip if it's truly 10lb different. I also think they look the best.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
absolutely no ET or MPH improvement due to lighter weight

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
No ET difference so get what you like. I do love my Fabshop stainless headers. I had Mike chrome them and they look incredible.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
No et difference because they're all way to universal (big). I'd have a set built to dust azz's with a in house built engine and transmission.

Never fail to be unique - fastest in your category.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Not worried about performance....Makes no difference running S/C.....

Only care about them not cracking or deteriorating....or which is easier to maintain.....chrome or polished stainless...

I tig welded my collectors on my Dynatechs and have an EGT and an A/F sensor in one tube....Don't really need either...don't use either.

I had them re-coated by Nitroplate at least 5 years ago.....

One header has 2 tube sleeves loose at the flange......

Fixing it would s-u-c-k and than having them recoated again....and the coating takes a beating from burnouts and rocks......

Chrome turns colors from heat.....sometimes....

Polished stainless seems like a better option....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Rich, unless you chrome stainless headers, they will look like shyt sooner than later. Dynatech headers don’t crack, all the others do.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Rich, unless you chrome stainless headers, they will look like shyt sooner than later..

^^Truth and facts^^

They require constant maintenance if you want them to look nice.

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Big Steve...knows!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Rich, unless you chrome stainless headers, they will look like shyt sooner than later. Dynatech headers don’t crack, all the others do.

The chrome dynatechs on my wife’s car had a collector bolt “hoop” fall off last year on the header side. The welds stayed, tab gone. Since it still had 3 we continued to run it, this year the neighboring tab started to crack. I emailed dynatech about it, they offered a pretty good discount on a new set. So we sold the old ones and got a new set and opted for merge collectors. Her old ones were pretty blue when we got them with the car. New ones already turning gold after 2 or 3 races. Not sure if they can be polished back to pretty like stainless can.

Both sets of dynatechs have the split flanges/single tubes which I was told they have to do to chrome them. The coated ones have a one piece flange. The split flanges are a pain, have to go slow and make sure the bolts aren’t starting crooked.

The merge collectors did nothing on the time slip but they did make my wallet $200 lighter. This is going from the 3 step 2 1/8 2 1/4 2 3/8 to the 2 set 2 1/4 3 3/8 so not exactly an equal comparison. 7.50 dragster with a 555.

My car has performance welding stainless headers that are coated. I find them to be less maintenance than the dynatechs, they have springs holding the collectors on instead of bolts that loosen. I just wipe them down every race morning with some speed clean and they look fine and will never turn colors. There are some small dings here and there in the coating but I’ve put over 600 runs on them and I bought them used.

Rich I’d do what Ed said and pick what you like and see if you can get a deal Black Friday or otherwise.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My Dynatechs have a one piece flange....std collectors

They have never cracked but as I mentioned the tube sleeves at the flange on 2 pipes are separating from the flange

Can't really b-i-t-c-h about a set 17 years old

I will make a choice and buy something over the off season.....thanks...

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I like the raw stainless look.

Let them age, I think they look good. Lots of TD cars and Comp cars run them right off the welding table.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I just replaced my Dynatechs not too long ago...Had the old set that I bought used since 2009. They were starting to rust out from the inside....Still, got $800 for them when I sold them. Bought another set, just bigger primaries and the merged collector. Engine did seem to like the bigger header a little better. They might be heavy but they'll be around for years to come......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
have had , Hooker, dynatech, Borla, Fab Shop , over the years , but for fit and finish, and super nice welding, the Stainless Works headers are my choice from now on ... you might look at them as well..

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
couldn't disagree more, look like shyt