DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Header/tubing pipe expander
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Header/tubing pipe expander
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
Has anybody here had any experience using the tubing expanders?
Making some changes to my headers and with the location of the existing tubes being so close together it will be impossible to butt weld them.
If I can "expand" the tube to facilitate a slip on fit it would be much nicer/cleaner.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Any muffler shop with a machine can do a couple thou.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:

I need to stretch the 1 3/4 to slip over 1 3/4.
Guess I should get my butt off the couch and go ask the muffler people.

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:

I need to stretch the 1 3/4 to slip over 1 3/4.
Guess I should get my butt off the couch and go ask the muffler people.

Pretty small headers Bruce....shouldn't be any clearance issues with 1-3/4 tubes

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If by chance you meant 2-3/4 Harbor Freight has a large size exhaust pipe expander that works on 2-1/8 up to 3"
It actually works pretty well for $29

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
If by chance you meant 2-3/4 Harbor Freight has a large size exhaust pipe expander that works on 2-1/8 up to 3"

Dave im working on a different set of headers for my Corvette. Still running the 355 SBC.
With the engine set back there is not much that works on the drivers side.
I found a set of early Chevy II fenderwell headers that fit well on the passenger side but had to redo all tubes on the drivers side. I have to make a couple more changes that necessitate cutting all 4 tubes just before they enter the collectors. Since all 4 tubes are touching it is impossible to weld all the way around. Figured if I could make the 1 3/4 a slip fit over the existing 1 3/4 it would not require the 360* weld job.
I'll take a look at the HB freight piece.
Take care buddy.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:

Dave im working on a different set of headers for my Corvette. Still running the 355 SBC.
With the engine set back there is not much that works on the drivers side.
I found a set of early Chevy II fenderwell headers that fit well on the passenger side but had to redo all tubes on the drivers side. I have to make a couple more changes that necessitate cutting all 4 tubes just before they enter the collectors. Since all 4 tubes are touching it is impossible to weld all the way around. Figured if I could make the 1 3/4 a slip fit over the existing 1 3/4 it would not require the 360* weld job.
I'll take a look at the HB freight piece.
Take care buddy.

OOOOOOO....sorry bud, thought we were talking about the digger...lol Harbor also has a small and medium expander. Try and get the biggest you can fit in your tube beause if you really expand the tube out to the limit of the tool it will leave little flat spots kinda due to the shoes getting far apart....

Dave

F J B

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
As stated most any muffler shop can do it. Otherwise you can buy a mechanical expander from many sources. Amazon has a few as does Hobo Freight. Back in the day when I worked at parts stores in HS and part time as a second job we actually had a hydraulic expander with many dies. Of course we also rebuilt alternators and starters, relined brake shoes, made ac and hydraulic hoses etc etc.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post