DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    duramax owners exhaust?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

duramax owners exhaust?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok the Duramax I have a;most bought,deposit only. While test driving the cleaning exhaust came up on dash. Before end of test drive the check engine light came on. Salesman went thru few things on dash and said its because truck had not had oil and fuel filter changed lately.
First does check engine come on for those reasons? Second with limited service record,only one on carmax which could just mean was not reported or could mean very little service done. Should I have huge concern? The cost of screwed up DEF system is more than enough reason I know.

Any way to tell if other issues other than taking to a mechanic I would trust?Truck is 60 miles from house and area I know folks in.

Second issue I have concern over is dealers rating 3.8 and with few comment on mechical issue and dealers lack of support there. Yea should have checked before left house to look at truck. Was one of few diesels in my price rnage and close to what I wanted other wise. I will probably loose $500 deposit even with fight.Is still better than going in debt and then a huge repair bill.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4160 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
How many miles Chris? Should be covered under emissions warranty. The heaters in the DEF tank do fail. It will set a check eng lamp if regen was not done and was postponed..

Look for low coolant levels... too

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4465 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
116k miles

Posts: 4160 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you've been told your entire life not to trust a used car salesman. Well, Carmax employs nothing but used car salesmen.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think there is a special coverage on the after treatment injector . They get stopped up and wont build enough to do the regen. Or could be a bad EGT sensor . Find out what the code was.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
All the warning signs are right in front of you and yet you refuse to heed them because you found the deal you wanted rather than the right truck you need.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Run away. Emissions repairs are expensive. If something is wrong with the emissions that far down, it's usually because something is wrong closer to the engine.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by top189h:
Run away. Emissions repairs are expensive. If something is wrong with the emissions that far down, it's usually because something is wrong closer to the engine.

^^^this^^^

Not many people get rid of a perfectly good diesel truck because they want to. Trade them in when they have issues. I personally wouldn't buy a used diesel truck unless i personally knew the truck's history

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The salesman was blowing smoke up your rear while scrambling through the dash looking to distract you from him sweating bullets at the thought of a lost sale.

Did you ask him to pull the codes in front of you? Both of those dash lights, at the same time, and "just so happened" to pop up on a test drive? No bueno.

I'll bet they cleared those codes when they got the truck, never fixed the issue, and didn't expect them to pop up so quickly again.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Anybody with an ounce of common sense would run away from this the price is right deal.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Run! Carmax way overpriced and this deal just smells like a problem they are trying to unload

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
First off I don't totally disagree with most comments.

Well except for the priced right deal. 32k for 5 year old truck is not my idea of priced to thrill. I do agree all trucks are over priced and all are right in line with this one.

Had two mechanics tell me it is not that far out of norm.If Cleaning exhaust is on and not driven enough it will flash check engine. If the truck did not look brand new every where and looks to be well cared for it would be easier pass. Makes it hard to see it having issue and yes some can clean the hell out of used vehicle and this would have taken a super good clean to look like it does. Been on lot for ten days or so carfax says for what that is worth.

Trading off a vehicle that has gone past warranty is not uncommon for corprate deals.

Hey I am not sold on getting it.Heck wish I was sold on getting it or backing off and getting gas truck for while till get more funds to work with and wiat for 2017 or newer diesels to meet me and funding in cpl years. I know my stomach would feel better. Not sure if its this truck or just diesel in general and huge repairs that can go with it.Then gas truck is not cheap to fix either and both can screw up. Well going to not sleep on it tonight.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If that junk sells for $32k, my truck with 200k plus miles on it will sell for $42k easily.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I think what your gut is telling you is spot on. And you may discover that the gas truck covers your needs, or it doesn't. If not, you can sell it if bought right.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Not saying it's junk but if you'll pay 32k for a duramax with those miles, I'll sell ya this for 35k, just turned 78,000 no def

I have a buddy who'd give me 30k for it tomorrow, this is a bigger truck, bigger cab too.

35k I'd have to consider it.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Run a carfax on it. Make sure that you do it not carmax.

Might look on carvana. Buddy bought a truck on there delivered to his house and you have 7 days and 200 miles to check it out

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
If that junk sells for $32k, my truck with 200k plus miles on it will sell for $42k easily.

So a truck basically the same with exception of 3500 vs 2500 and some extra comforts and gadgets as Ed's is piece of junk. All because it has a light on dash that may or may not be a issue. Seems this light comes up frequently in silverado model. I would have thought Chevy and GMC had exact same systems,but from investigating it seems there are cpl differences.

I do not disagree that with truck market being what it is you might get 40k for one of upper packages equipped trucks. Plenty 2016 and 17 High Country silverados still in upper 40's and even 50k range. Ridicules as it is.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It's not that the truck is junk but the issue is that a 5-8k repair bill on these trucks is common. If it is indeed that it didn't finish the regen, that's fine. The issue is if it's a clogged dpf. That's close to 2k alone to replace. What the real issue is, something is allowing the excess build up to reach the dpf. If it cloged the old one, it will clog the new one. Duramax trucks have the uncomfortable reality that working on a V8 diesel frequently requires the cab to come off. All of these things will just snowball in expense. I know it isn't going to be everyone's opinion, but I wouldn't buy a used diesel. They hold value (great for the seller, bad for the 2nd buyer) and are expensive to fix. You can get a new diesel work truck for the low 40s from any brand. If you spend 30k on this you could really quickly end up with 10k or close in repairs (emissions, injectors, lift pumps, wear items). At that point you have 40k invested in an older and used truck.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Salesman went thru few things on dash and said its because truck had not had oil and fuel filter changed lately.

I'd be much more concerned about this statement here. Did the salesman say it was likely a common emissions issue, or did he say it was a BS oil/fuel filter issue?

He's clearly trying to put a sale ahead of honestly, which may be hiding a known issue. Your choice whether to believe a guy you just met whose in sales. I don't think I would.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: A39Coronet,

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
No longer issue. Thanks guys. After weighing cost of diesel maintenance and up keep especially if something goes wrong and seems lot more can. I decide a gas truck is better fit for me. Plus I have the Freightliner sitting there needing some cosmetic repairs from sitting and tires that I can cover with difference in diesel and gas truck prices.