DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pin hole in front tire, plug it or tube it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pin hole in front tire, plug it or tube it?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a very small pin hole in one of my brand new front tires (Mickey Thompson ET Front Tire 25.0X4.5R15). I have been told by 3 places that they cannot patch it. I really dont want to plug it because then that would require me making the hole alot larger. So now im at a dilemma lol, should I plug it or run a tube in it? Not sure where to get the tube from.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
take it off and put a plug patch on the inside. I have done that before and it is fine. every body will tell you not to patch it because it is a racing tire so they do not want the liability. patch it from inside and keep racing.

ep

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ive taken it to 4 different places, the normal patch wont stick. Guess i have to find a plug patch, is it different than a normal patch when it comes to sticking?

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Back in the day we would scuff inside of tire real good with air grinder...put glue on set it on fire for a second then install patch...

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They tried all of that and it wont stick

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I would push a small screwdriver, wire, whatever works through the h0le from the outside, smear some RTV around to h0le and metal piece, then fill the tire to 40lbs and slowly remove the screwdriver and let the RTV backfill in the h0le providing a plug of sorts. The "smear" of RTV inside the tire would work as the retaining flap.
I'm wondering why you're not returning a new tire that has a leak of any kind?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is just me,but I cringe when I see threads like this.

For what it costs to replace a race car,if I ever have a hole in one of the tires on the race car,it is getting replaced with a NEW tire.

If money ever gets too tight to afford a new tire,that is when I think it is time to hang up the helmet.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
First of all, it IS a new tire..
2nd, it's a pin hole in the tire...

Are you saying using tubes would be dangerous??

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Tube it or buy a new one.

Posts: 475 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
First off, I never said the pin hole was in when i got it. So no need to return it. The pin hole was actually caused by a rock. As per the manufacturer a tube or new tire would be the only safe alternatives.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
How about some fix-a-flat and keeping an eye on the tire pressure? Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
First off, I never said the pin hole was in when i got it. So no need to return it. The pin hole was actually caused by a rock. As per the manufacturer a tube or new tire would be the only safe alternatives.

You said "you have a very smail pin hole in one of your brand new front tires".....leading me to believe these where in fact BRAND NEW TIRES WITH A VERY SMALL PIN HOLE....Hence my question about returning the tire.
You seem to already have your answer (tubes or replace) so why bother asking....

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Brand new means never used so I guess it isn’t brand new.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would try some right stuff or black RTV, on the inside and/or fill the hole if possible. Cant hurt anything by trying that. I always thought tubes in the front were a NO NO? If its a brand new unused tire someone would be replacing it.

Shane Carr

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
motorcycle inner tube. Costs about $5-6 and be done with it. Had to do that with my old car, front wheels leaked where they mated. Car went 206 multiple times with my buddy that bought it and that setup, so it's good....patches are hit or miss sometimes....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A plug patch is similar to a normal patch with the exception that it has a plug with a metal guide built into it. How it works is you enlarge the pin hole a little, buff the inside of the tire where the injury is, apply glue to the tire, then use the metal part of the plug patch to push it through the injury, pull it tight from the outside and roll it into the tire. Then obviously cut off the nipple at the outside. They were at one time DOT approved, don't know if they still are or not. I won't patch or plug any motorcycle tire, period so we don't use them anymore-but still have a stash of plug patches for an occasional lawn mower or tractor tire repair. They work pretty good.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Never ran tubes in front tires. Do you need to drill out the wh0le for the valve stem like you would for a rear tube? If so, that is the end of that wheel......... Once you drill that baby out, there ain't no going back!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
Never ran tubes in front tires. Do you need to drill out the wh0le for the valve stem like you would for a rear tube? If so, that is the end of that wheel......... Once you drill that baby out, there ain't no going back!

Generally you don't. If it's a dragster wheel, a motorcycle tube valve stem is the small version and no drilling is required. They also come with lock nuts to clamp the stem to the wheel.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Mickey Thompson ET Front Tire 25.0X4.5R15)

This was the ORIGINAL tire of the ORIGINAL question.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a plug. I've never used one in a slick, but I've probably seen a dozen. And in a front would be even less of an issue. Plug it and wear the tire out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post