DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Troubleshooting advice on head
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Troubleshooting advice on head
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted
bbc 540, dart pro 1 345 heads, dart big M block, alcohol
Motor has roughly 175 passes since new build. After TD race in Aug spraying 100 shot, pulled plugs day after to find #7 soaked. Did leak down...fine. Pulled head and examined gasket. (Felpro 10171) Gasket was stuck to block in between each cylinder down near exhaust side. Also blue silicone beads were a mess too. Replaced gasket...did 2 warm ups, took to track, made 3 passes, saw small amount of water in 7 upon rotating motor over no plug after a pass. Did a warm up again with die in water, and got temp to 210 with higher pressure cap 20 lbs. Couldnt find anything. Only thing i cojld hear was water sizzleing in left side header. Rotated motor over once and stopped. Pulled both heads, right side looked brand new, left side looked same as before...and was stuck to block in same places. Took block and head to engine machinist...they pressure tested ok. I am suspect of a crack in the head at the valve seat because of sizzling noise and because to where water accumulated in plug. But figure maybe issue is only showing with heat. Anyone see anything like this before? I dont want re assemble engine without a smoking gun...any advice would be great. Txs in advance! -Mark

Posts: 32 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
my last cracked head was in the exhaust between the valve and the edge of the port.it leaked into port and header

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1392 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
was easy to have welded up

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1392 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
Txs...Yeah...my problem right now is I cant find "the crack" to weld. Frown

Posts: 32 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the deck surface on the block and the surface of the head?

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have you had the head pressure tested?

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
Yes the deck surface of block checked out ok and the head pressure was good. Deck surface of head is still in question.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
Whats the Ra on the head and decks

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I built an engine for a friend and used Dart Pro-1 335 CNC heads...

The #8 exhaust port was so thin it broke thru the aluminum at the end head stud.

The stud was getting heated as it was exposed to he exhaust flame and rusted bad so it must have had bad condensation there.

Never saw water in the cylinder though....It was a Dart block with blind head bolt holes....

Fel-Pro gaskets do leak water sometimes....Seen it.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-7lgXGani4

Shake head

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
That guy has a lot of videos on head work.

He's old school for sure.

He ain't lyin about the out of the box VJ quality.....

It's hit or miss and I've seen them way off out of the box as well as pretty much perfect..

I bought a set of Dart 325's for myself and the exhaust seats were off a mile

The last set of Brodix heads I bought for myself were perfect

Both sets were assembled heads and finished by the manufacturer.....

I would never install a set without disassembling them if they were complete...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I bought a complete set of Brodix Race Rite ovals last year and had to spend about $800 at the machine shop before they went on the car.

The engine probably would have run fine just bolting them on, but you could see light past the closed valves.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boucher Jr:
Whats the Ra on the head and decks

Not sure...have to borrow profilometer from work. Deck was fresh from engine shop...heads were right from Dart. Wasnt using MLS gaskets which are fussier on surface finish than the felpro composite with silicone beads

DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-7lgXGani4

Yes...txs...actually have seen that video before......after i bought heads and installed ofcourse

DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
What i cant get out of my head was the sizzle of water heard in the header after motor was shut off. Then rotating motor over and having sizzle go away...like the exh valve getting dripped on then closing.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
that noise can be the moisture burning out of the alcohol

Posts: 36 | Location: canada | Registered: January 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
Only heard it on left side tho...twice

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Exhaust guides run through the water jacket?

Bars Leak

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1616 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post