DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Spherical Plane Bearing Source
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spherical Plane Bearing Source
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
The front suspension in my Davis Roadster uses small Spherical Plane Bearings pressed into each of the 3/8 thick arms that attach the torsion bar to the front axle. I haven't had any success searching the net looking for a supplier what I have located are metric bearings, none of which fit the same SAE dimensions. I tried several companies, including King bearing and drew a blank.

Any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

Posts: 3075 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is this what you are looking for?

St. Gobain

https://www.bearings.saint-gob.../norglide/norglide-h

or

Old Garlock Technology:

https://www.ggbearings.com/sit...chure-english-us.pdf

Rob

Posts: 110 | Location: Toronto | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What are your dimensions?
I.D.
O.D.
Width of race
Width of Ball

Posts: 184 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The race outer diameter (as best I can measure it since it's pressed into the arm) is .851

The race width is: .510

The ball width: .380

The h0le in the ball is: .375 (3/8)

There isn't any external lubrication zert fitting.

I only need two of these bearings, but really want to buy four. Two spares for the future.

The current bearings are in bad shape.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Posts: 3075 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information Rob:

These calc charts are really interesting, I copied them and then archived the data for future use. I was especially interested in the load factor calculation formulas.

Regards:

Bob

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a com series bearing with a race wider than the ball. An MIB-6 is close.

Posts: 184 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I believe that I can make the Aurora MIB-6 work, I have a little "wiggle" room. I'm going to order two to start, if they fit I'll order two more as spares.

Thanks bry-war!

Bob

DRR Sportsman
Picture of speedwrench44
posted Hide Post
Don told me he sourced the torsion front from Mark Williams, might try them

Dave

Posts: 260 | Location: Heldnfelt, Texas | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If these MIB-6 bearings don't fit I'll try Mark Williams. The only dimension that might be a problem is the overall race diameter @ .851 (and that was a questionable measurement), the MIB-6 is only .8485, everything else looks like it will work. The bearings will arrive next week.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RPROGAS,