DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    27" Front Tire and .500 Pro-Tree
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

27" Front Tire and .500 Pro-Tree
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
HI Guys,

Long time looker first time poster. Lots of good information on here. Thank you all.

So I *used* to have a full chassis Trans Am bracket car back in the late '90s through early 2000s. She ran 8.9s but I only bracket raced it. I have been mostly out of the drag racing game since 2002.

I am getting back into racing and building a 4th gen Camaro for bracket racing and some 10.90 class racing. It is going to be a 8.50 cert stock floor mintubbed car.

Shooting for 3100 with me in it (hopefully less than 3200 for sure). 1.76 ratio glide with dual dump JW pro brake and a 5.14 rear gear with a 28" tall tire.

So here is the dilemma, I am wanting keep the car stock looking on the outside. I have the stock wheels widened to 10" for the rear and the front narrowed to 4-3/4. But it turns out only M&H makes 16" front runners and they are 27" in diameter.

I have no doubt I can get the car to react with the adjustability I will have in the suspension. I've done some digging on front tire size on here and it seems for .500 tree racing 27" should be OK but I wanted to throw the question out there.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

Posts: 9 | Location: Medina,Ohio | Registered: June 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention the M&H tires are going to set me back almost $350 bucks.

There is a set of Weld Alumastars with M/T 26/4.5 tires on CL for $500. This has me thinking that investing 350 into 16" tires for a certain "look" is likely foolish. The Alumastars are surely lighter and the 15" wheel gives me more options for sizes down the road. I could always upgrade to new rear wheels when my 16" slicks are worn out.

Posts: 9 | Location: Medina,Ohio | Registered: June 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think you can make it work. Maybe not as easy as with a shorter tire, but still doable I think.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Watch your brake caliper clearance.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
Watch your brake caliper clearance.

Great point. I'll have to do some measuring on that first!

Thanks for the feed back.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
My Nova is a 10.20-30 car wide open and weighs 3600 lbs. 1.80 glide, 4.30 rear, 28" fronts.

When I run Super Street I launch at 3800 RPM and carry about .050 delay in the box. You should have no worries.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
My Nova is a 10.20-30 car wide open and weighs 3600 lbs. 1.80 glide, 4.30 rear, 28" fronts.

When I run Super Street I launch at 3800 RPM and carry about .050 delay in the box. You should have no worries.

Mines 3700, 10.60 car w 1.76 glide, 488, 26.5" fronts, and a metric crap ton of front end travel and it'll go .480's on a 4/10 tree.
You'll have no problems on a 5/10 tree..

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Work has been crazy lately sorry for not checking back sooner!

Chris