Find
Notify
Tools

Pump Gas 406
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted
Updating the engine in my streetcar. Looking at a new cam and top end combo. What heads are guys using today ? I took off some Track 1 heads. Shooting for 700 hp. Was probably in the 550-575 range before. Any input is appreciated.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
AFR still is the go to head for street/strip small blocks. IMO, the AFR 220 Eliminator is what you want.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Deniker:
Updating the engine in my streetcar. Looking at a new cam and top end combo. What heads are guys using today ? I took off some Track 1 heads. Shooting for 700 hp. Was probably in the 550-575 range before. Any input is appreciated.

Just got this from Kirk, nice little pump gas 414 Dart sportsman block, Callies Magnum, Callies Ultra rods. If those Track 1's you took off are 215's, you could send em to Weingartner. I sold my old top end (215's) to a guy. He sent the heads to Weingartner and they flowed as well as my 233 sts Brodix T1's when he got em back.

This 414 we're doing is looking like 625-650hp with an old set of Dart 220's got a deal on shaft rockers complete in new condition.

This will be an engine we can put quite a bit of street miles on 66 Chevy II 200hp nitrous

Supposedly this is a "nasty sounding roller camshaft"

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
Ed, the AFR 220 Eliminator heads would be better than say, the 345 AFR heads ?

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

Just got this from Kirk, nice little pump gas 414 Dart sportsman block, Callies Magnum, Callies Ultra rods. If those Track 1's you took off are 215's, you could send em to Weingartner. I sold my old top end (215's) to a guy. He sent the heads to Weingartner and they flowed as well as my 233 sts Brodix T1's when he got em back.

This 414 we're doing is looking like 625-650hp with an old set of Dart 220's got a deal on shaft rockers complete in new condition.

This will be an engine we can put quite a bit of street miles on 66 Chevy II 200hp nitrous

Supposedly this is a "nasty sounding roller camshaft"

Thanks for the info Mike

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We tried to buy the Weingartner ported heads back with no luck but this is the new Wilson / Profiler intake we cut the fuel injection bosses off, gonna cut the plenum down and port for a 2" cowl 66 Chevy II.

I'd send them Brodix heads to Weingartner if I was you, that deal went smooth and they looked great. All new everything affordable quality. I was impressed, everything went down as he said it would.

MarkeMark runs well with Weingartner Brodix heads and intake too. Check with him too.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I'm not opposed to the 18 degree stuff either.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not opposed to the 18 degree stuff either.

That's actually an excellent approach 700hp, pump gas 406 sbc.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ed, the AFR 220 Eliminator heads would be better than say, the 245 AFR heads ?

I wouldn't put a 245 head on a pump gas 400 going in a real street car.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
It's for sure a real street car. I have a couple race cars.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's for sure a real street car. I have a couple race cars.

700 hp, pump gas 406. A cylinder head, camshaft rotating assembly with the latten potential for power around 8,000 rpm.

You could drive it on the street, if the valve train compromises are approached thoughtfully, replacing valve springs might not be every other time out chore.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
he said it's a real street car NOT a race car "you could drive on the street"

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ever think about a small Procharger, wouldn't take much boost to get 700 hp. It would be very street friendly, especially with cam specs for a supercharger.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
AFR dominance ended when I bolted this 427 together topped off with a set of out of the box Brodix T1 233 STS.

Only the facts

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
700 HP on pump gas with a 406 is not going to be easy with those heads. I would look at the AFR 245 or some 18* heads and or more cubic inches.
I think AFR are very good heads but many say they are "Optimistic" on their flow ratings.

If you want to private message me I will tell you about some of my combinations and actual dyno numbers. Not going to get into public pi$$ing contest here with internet hero /Zeroes.

With pump gas cam selection and compression will be critical to.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4009 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You're arguing with yourself, only because there is no AFR 245 dipping in the 5's n/a sbc factory condition all steel 3200 lbs.

street car 10 x 28 bias tire

I did the engine and transmission. I told everyone I'd go a 5 before it saw the track.

My dyno is better than most, it'll tell me what i'm gonna run beforehand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'd send the heads he has to Weingartner. I'd get a stick around 730 670 270 280 106, and have PKRE do up a SV2 intake like this for it. It'll be real close 700 hp. He can drive it a little car shows hamburger joints Saturday night.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
your nothing special race engine is not a 700HP pump gas street engine going in a real street car.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
How fast you trying to run?

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post