DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Morel lifters oiling question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Morel lifters oiling question
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Has anybody else experienced copious amounts of oil coming out of the wheels of Morel lifters? I checked and re-checked all the passage alignment. It pours oil out of the wheel on the backside of the cam lobe as well as at full lift. I can't believe that much oil to the wheel is needed or normal. I changed manifold and oil today and figured I'd prime the engine since I had the distributor out. I have good oil pressure so maybe I'm over reacting?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
PM being sent not worth listening to the forum clown call everyone a clueless broke dyck. I suggest this option is taken more.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking maybe the oil is coming out from between the lifter and the lifter bore because of too much clearance.

Just a thought.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
PM being sent not worth listening to the forum clown call everyone a clueless broke dyck. I suggest this option is taken more.

You are what you are. Now what part of the TRUTH and the FACTS don’t you like?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
I'm thinking maybe the oil is coming out from between the lifter and the lifter bore because of too much clearance.

Just a thought.....

My first thought also. Measured several bores and got a average of .0005".....when priming the engine you can literally see the oil flowing out of the sides of the wheel. Moving the lifter up and down in the bore doesn't affect flow at all. Unless you lift the lifter up high enough to uncover the oil passage of course. Then all he11 breaks loose with oil spray. lol

I know conventional wisdom is to NOT use restricters, but I'm thinking if ever there was a need for them, this is it !!

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
BG, I've tried all day but no response.

Dave

F J B

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
10-4 brother. Good luck. Monday may be better idk.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave if they are the direct lube lifters I would think you would see quite a bit of oil coming from there. Call Morel and ask them.
Funny about oil restrictors. Lifter, spring and rocker manufactures want all of the oil to protect their product. Racers trying to keep some oil in the pan to protect their whole engine.
I take the restrictors and open the hole up to .125.
I also use #8 drain backs from the head back to the oil pan to try and keep oil in the pan and off the crankshaft.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post