New
Find
Notify
Tools

racepak ?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
i am new to Racepak but here is what i have noticed. my racepak monitors water temp just fine. but when i return from a pass it is like it holds the highest water temp and does not show the cooling of the engine. meaning it will be stuck on the highest temp it saw. once i cycle the power to the IQ3 dash it will start showing the falling cooling temp and will and be fine until the next run.

ep

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
i am new to Racepak but here is what i have noticed. my racepak monitors water temp just fine. but when i return from a pass it is like it holds the highest water temp and does not show the cooling of the engine. meaning it will be stuck on the highest temp it saw. once i cycle the power to the IQ3 dash it will start showing the falling cooling temp and will and be fine until the next run.

ep
Because they are ALL JUNK….an they know it an want fix it….Maddox can send it to place I was recommended on here….but buddy just got is back an it’s still doing it….

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Maybe off base here.Have some experiance but not ton with racepak. Any chance the reading you are getting is from the run and not what is happening at that momement until you switch it? Do all of the other readings change while you are looking at temp?

Asking because we never used our to read while in pits just to record track data. Also have not had water in eninge since 1990, so never had water to read temp on.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:

ep

Is this a IQ3 Drag recording dash? If so do the recordings agree with the dash readings?

Did it work OK last year or this all new setup?

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
sorry for the delay.

as Whomper said Maddox can send it some where and says they can fix it.

Greg--it is all new setup for me. this is the IQ3 recording dash. as far as does it line up with the recordings i can't answer yet. right now it is set up to record at a certain rpm which i would like to change because it records when i warm up. drive to the lanes. do a burnout and make the run. i have only been able to actually find one run from this past weekend. i just want to be able to press a button or flip a switch when i want to record. that is the way my other car is so i am used to that.

again i am new to racepak. it is not as user friendly it seems as my Computech is in my other car. with some time and help i will get it.

ep

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Greg---is it complicated to set it up to start the record a different way?

ep

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yea, you can change it to a button or a different RPM or Drive Shaft RPM which works pretty nice as well.

I'm looking at the parameters as I'm typing and I think you could hook it to you line-loc by adding a relay to send a ground signal.

Unfortunately, you can only pick one trigger.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I always forgot to push the button to record. I found it best to trigger off rpm high enough to trigger during the burnout. Then record for 45 seconds. When you load it just zero the data where you want. Could do the same with the line lock like Greg mentions. You will want to record EVERY run because the one time something happens will be when you didn't push the button.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1390 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What ignition box is in this car Ed?

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
What ignition box is in this car Ed?

7535 ignition

i don't mind toggling a switch to start the record. i am used to that from my camaro. i flip a switch now without thinking about it.

ep

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This is not in response to the OP, but I thought I’d put it here just because.

Here’s a way to create a record signal with several options using Analog ignition. This is drawn with negative trigger output but can be made to output positive trigger as well.
The wiring diagram shows how to wire with a relay to start recording with either a remote momentary Push Button pushed or the Trans Brake button pushed. This way you have the option to start record at any time prior to using TB solenoid output.

If you remove the relay wire from terminal 85 going to ground and attach it to the RAS (Rpm Activated Switch) output on your Analog ignition box, install a rpm chip in the RAS slot slightly less than the launch rpm it’ll start the record only when both the TB solenoid is energized and engine rpm greater than the RAS chip. This way, if TB solenoid energized is needed to back up or if you bump the TB button and the engine rpm is not greater than the RAS rpm chip, it will not start the record feature.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool markemark. However depending on number of sensors a Racepak logger takes 2-4 seconds from log trigger activation to actual recording so it would be likely to loose some data with this technique.

If you change your drawing to show line lock or burn-out input then that's the method I'd recommend.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kelley: depending on number of sensors, a Racepak logger takes 2-4 seconds from log trigger activation to actual recording so it would be likely to loose some data with this technique.

Greg, Thanks for the heads up as I’ve never used Racepak and wasn’t aware of this.

The systems I use are immediate recording and program for 20 seconds to keep the download file as small as possible.

I also have a virtual switch on my digital dash to start or extend a recording when desired.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use the relay to start my recording but instead of the transbrake input I use the bump down input which is the autostart signal. This starts the recording after pre-stage so I don't get the burn-out info but I don't need that. It also makes the recording show up in the center of my computer screen when I download the run which means I don't have to scroll to find the actual run.
David

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post