DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Ignition / electronic choices for a new build ????
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ignition / electronic choices for a new build ????
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Speaking of using the Netbooks...Some of the EFI systems support using these handhelds as a gauge cluster. If you could get one to live and be able to mount it securely yet removable, imagine how slick that would be! Particularly if wireless is setup. Use it for both the gauges and for any tuning that you want to do even in the lanes.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Depending on what type of shifter you are using (CO2 or big Electric coil) how you could / would wire Grid to work would need to be determined. I have written about how to wire and program Grid for FB so that it will mimic the Delay box method. By this I mean that the “Time from Launch Timer” runs and allows you to use the Shift Light RPM, Output Switch Timer and programmable Launch Retard feature.Grid can also be wired just to shift in FB without starting the Time from Launch Timer also. Read more about Grid HERE

Holy shyt is this a lot of info to absorb !!!! It's gonna take me a while just to read it all let alone let it sink in lol

Thanks Mark and everyone who repied. Grid and box it is. What coil is used with this ?? I'm not computer savvy at all and either is my son, so the learning curve will be frustrating I'm sure lol

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
It is wise to match the MSD ignition to the recommended coil. MSD lists the 8251 and 8261 coils for the 7720 ignition. Your choice.

If using 7730 to control a 6al, then the coil would be one that is recommended for 6al.

When wiring, consider using a minimum 12 position terminal strip for device termination. This will allow you a test point for components and ease in adding or changing how something could work when using Grid.

Load MSDView4 into your computer now, open it up and learn how to use it. Like most software, the more you use it the easier it is to understand what you are doing. Having your son do the same will allow both to learn together. If you are overwhelmed with what you need to do to race Grid prior to purchasing you can always change direction and go analog.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm........ I vote for EFI. Everything in one box, and you have one of the best tuners on speed-dial! Smile

I'll help ya with the Grid. Always wanted to learn it but sold my setup before I ever used it. Became very happy with the Holley and found it did everything I wanted!

MSD does have a coil that is typically used with the Grid. Look on their website.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
I'll help ya with the Grid. Always wanted to learn it

Mike, after you install MSDView4 and open, 5 minutes later you’ll be asking “ That’s it?”

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmmmm........ I vote for EFI

There's only two things Mike I can guarantee will never make it into our program, one is a dragster and the other is EFI Big Grin
I've watched you for years, maybe decades play with that stuff, with great success I might add......... But it aint for me lol

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post