New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mandrel wobbles
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
My new APD drive mandrel has a slight wobble at idle . It's a BBC with an ATI balancer and msd crank trigger. I know some crank trigger wheels came with centering rings but this one didn't. Will this wobble be a problem ?

Posts: 22 | Location: trenton ohio | Registered: July 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I personally wouldn’t run it, that is going to get worse at rpms I would think.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
How much run out is there?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Fix it!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
There's no run out or wobble with the trigger wheel, it's just the mandrel . I'm not sure of the run out but its not much . Using it to run vacuum pump and alternator.

Posts: 22 | Location: trenton ohio | Registered: July 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have a brand new Ron's injection mandrel I don't need if you're interested for bbc

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
To be quite technical about it: Nothing is perfect. All mandrels have some run out. Too much is a problem

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you can see it wobble it's too much!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
If you are you using the 3 bolts to locate it then thats the problem. We put my crank trigger wheel in a lathe and machined a recess to locate the mandrel so it spins true. The bolts just hold it to the balancer.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A little at idle doesn’t bother me. My wife’s car has a 3 bolt with a register. It has a barely perceptible wobble at idle but goes away as soon as you rev it. Not the first time I’ve seen that. Now if you crank it up to 4K and it’s still wobbling, then ya, I’d fix that.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
A little at idle doesn’t bother me. My wife’s car has a 3 bolt with a register. It has a barely perceptible wobble at idle but goes away as soon as you rev it. Not the first time I’ve seen that. Now if you crank it up to 4K and it’s still wobbling, then ya, I’d fix that.

The only difference between idle and 4000 rpm is you cant see it wobble at 4000.
But it still is wobbling. Fix it.
Put a timing light on it at 4000, you will see the bi tch dancing.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post