DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    B1 original vs Indy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B1 original vs Indy
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted
I have a 540, 4.5 hole in aluminum Indy assembled with Indy sr's ready to dyno. As usual, there is now a complete set of B1's, rockers, intake, all but springs available for a very nice price. The Indy's flow 383, no flow numbers on the B1's.

What will be different? Have read they will not just bolt on. Never had B1's so any info would be good.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
Oil drain-back really sucks on B-1 heads. If you run a vacuum pump, you'll probably fight with too much oil in your puke tank. That's all I got...

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I run B1's while pulling 14in of vacuum, no oil in tank. That being said, you know you are going to have to change the pistons, the valves are on a different center line. I had heard of milling B1 valve reliefs into "regular" pistons.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I agree with 23t. They will not just bolt on. The valves are in a different location so you will need new pistons.

Posts: 3 | Location: Memphis | Registered: August 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
I can get the B1 complete top end for such a low price, I will still probably buy them for the next build. Sucks.. everything is brand new in the current build, too far in to turn back now. Though if the flow numbers on the B1's are good enough, may look into that piston relief Smile

Are the headers the same flange?

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
you can use the same headers, exhaust flange is the same.

Joe

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom H:
I can get the B1 complete top end for such a low price, I will still probably buy them for the next build. Sucks.. everything is brand new in the current build, too far in to turn back now. Though if the flow numbers on the B1's are good enough, may look into that piston relief Smile

Are the headers the same flange?

tom Hemphill is the one who did the work on the pistons.

http://www.hemphillracingengines.com/

Joe

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
I picked up the heads yesterday. couple questions... the rockers are black no name, no bearings. Indy?

Does an Indy valley plate work? Intake came off low deck, so just need spacers for RB?

I took them to my engine guy to get some flow numbers, we will be checking valve clearance / spacing differences.

I apologize for the simple questions, but B1 is currently a foreign language to an Indy guy.

The heads were on a streetable (9.70's) charger for years, that owner died. The guy i got them from knew nothing about them other than they were on a less than 500 ci low deck.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the rockers that Koffels used to supply with the heads. Those things are not very good. I replaced mine with Harland Sharp but T&D makes some single shaft for them too. They also have paired set ups too.

Posts: 3 | Location: Memphis | Registered: August 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Indy valley plate will not work.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Black rockers are Dove rockers, pretty sure they no longer use them at all. Id suggest T&D rockers for sure. Been running B1 stuff since the early 90's, very good pieces.

Indy valley plate will NOT work, Hemphill sells them as does Koffels.

Yes you need spacers for a tall deck available from Koffles. They do NOT make a tall deck intake.

The heads will need some port work to work well. The bowl area is the place to start. They can be ported to flow 410-420 depending on the bench fairly easily.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
I ran the black rockers for a long time. Switched to 320 lb. seat pressure springs and actually had less problems.
I have a bunch of them if anybody needs spares.
No shafts.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post