DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Launch issue using 2step
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Launch issue using 2step
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of jacedeering
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Jet extensions on the rear jets?

Yea, it has jet extensions.

Posts: 13 | Location: clinton | Registered: July 27, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jacedeering
posted Hide Post
So I bought a new torque converter and I'm still getting the "stumble" at the same spot on the launch (4,000 rpm).

The one thing I did change over the winter was the camshaft setup. I went from a hydraulic roller to a flat tappet camshaft. Could this potentially be the issue (kind of running out of things to try). I just don't understand why it would launch fine footbraking but not 2-stepping.

Posts: 13 | Location: clinton | Registered: July 27, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Do you have any power valves in the carb?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jacedeering
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Do you have any power valves in the carb?

No, power valves are removed.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I watched the youtube video a bunch of times. Doesn’t appear to be electrical as it’s a hesitation and not a miss starting at about 3800. What happens if you move the 2-step up to 3800 and try.

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jacedeering
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I watched the youtube video a bunch of times. Doesn’t appear to be electrical as it’s a hesitation and not a miss starting at about 3800. What happens if you move the 2-step up to 3800 and try.

I agree with the electrical comment, but just to be sure I looked over all the wires to rule it out. No, I haven't tried to move the launch to 3800 bc I'm a bottom bulber and have a really comfortable spot on where im at on the tree (almost maxed out on button, investing into an adjustable trans case this winter) and feel like I would be bandaging an issue that I feel like can be fixed.

DRR Trophy
Picture of jacedeering
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:

I will try a launch at 3800 to see what the replay shows though!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Moving the launch to 3800 is only to see if the problem still is present using the TB. I understand you needing 2600 to launch on TB and that should work same as FB.

The difference between one working (FB) and the other not working is the use of the TB solenoid with a valve body. For me I’m looking at the TB/ VB/ transmission. I know little to nothing about transmissions or valve body. But the problem is only when using the TB solenoid which is part of the VB. Perhaps it’s in the transmission.

You listed everything that was replaced in post #6, and I’d call all those components good now and not revisit them. You listed the Carb as being replaced also.

It takes 0.126 seconds for me to go from idle to WOT per my TPS data acquisition and I have a long pedal movement. The rpm only increases 1200 from idle in that period of time , and I’m on injection which is faster to accelerate from idle than a carb. The point I’m making is that if FB works, using a TB with WOT should be no different.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jace,
I hope you get it fixed before this weekend. I struggled with the S10 for about 6 weeks. I installed a vacuum pump and had to take the crank trigger off. Well somewhere between phone calls and not paying attention I put it together and timing was off. Stupid that I didn't check it but it was at 22-degrees, not 38. Ran Ok, started Ok but was inconsistent in 60' and getting to 330'. Since I put timing at 38 the truck has been extremely good.
I simply overlooked one of the basic things in prepping the car. Now it gets checked every week. Check you timing from idle to 4000, is it moving?
Hope you get it fixed!!
Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post