DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    14X32 Pro bracket radial
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

14X32 Pro bracket radial
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Does anyone on here have any real world experience with the 14x32 pbr tire? I have searched this site and people have talked about them but no real information as to their consistency on a bracket car. I have some friends running the smaller pbr and they love them.

Posts: 110 | Location: SO. IL. | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mike Casteel
posted Hide Post
I have them and hope to try them in the next week or two. Like you have heard a lot of good on the smaller sizes.

Posts: 4 | Location: Thief River Falls, Mn | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike, were you running the MY 3074s before? If you would give us an update after you get to put some laps on them please.

Posts: 110 | Location: SO. IL. | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mike Casteel
posted Hide Post
No I've been using Hoosier 13.5x32 stiff sidewall, just thought I'd try these. Will let you know after I get some passes on them

Posts: 4 | Location: Thief River Falls, Mn | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
We run the 10.5 x 28 on a door car and love it. I ALMOST bought the 14-32's to try on my dragster...

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
why not buy the tire that has been proven for decades, Hoosier's Radial slick?

Super Stock racers have been running Hoosier's 32/13.5 or 32/14.5 radial for decades as well are numerous bracket racers, myself included.

I've been running the 32/13.5 radial since 2008 on my 3144 lb. Firebird which has 60 footed as quick as 1.17 off the footbrake. Not many super stock cars no mind 3200 lb. bracket cars in the country can do that. I swap them out at 150 passes.

That said, I've been running Hoosier Radial slicks since 2000, started with the 30/10.5 radial on my 3880 lb. Chevelle that 60 footed 1.28 off the footbrake and have made thousands of passes on radial slicks for almost 2 decades now. I would never go back to a bias slick.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Ed you know i love ya ,but M/ts work and are growning lol

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I know you do so I've got to get you on Hoosiers, they WORK...

once you do, you'll never go back.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I went from the MT stiff sidewall 14x32 slick to the MT PBR 31.5x13...I now have about 20 passes on them...cliff notes: they are killer...my 60' times dropped .02 and I actually ran record bests at darlington at the bigfoot 40's...\

I love the fact that they do not lose any air between events....I am running 17 lbs. in them and my car loves it...I do a very small burn out as well...I did not get the 14x32's based on Jon Siegels recommendation...he test muled both before they came out and told me the 31.5x13's worked better...

One thing I will mention is I am turning more rpm since the PBR's do not have any tire growth going down the track...btw, my ride is a 79 Monte Carlo with a 496 BBC on pump gas and a glide...I run 5:13 gears out back...car weighs 3250 with me in it...I am turning 6500 rpm in the 1/8th...

For what it is worth, I had the opposite experience from 1320...I ran hoosiers for years including their radials...I loved them but was asked to try some MT's...I never looked back as the MT's were much more consistent for me and now are even more stupid good with these PBR's...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hetzler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
I went from the MT stiff sidewall 14x32 slick to the MT PBR 31.5x13...I now have about 20 passes on them...cliff notes: they are killer...my 60' times dropped .02 and I actually ran record bests at darlington at the bigfoot 40's...\

I love the fact that they do not lose any air between events....I am running 17 lbs. in them and my car loves it...I do a very small burn out as well...I did not get the 14x32's based on Jon Siegels recommendation...he test muled both before they came out and told me the 31.5x13's worked better...

One thing I will mention is I am turning more rpm since the PBR's do not have any tire growth going down the track...btw, my ride is a 79 Monte Carlo with a 496 BBC on pump gas and a glide...I run 5:13 gears out back...car weighs 3250 with me in it...I am turning 6500 rpm in the 1/8th...

For what it is worth, I had the opposite experience from 1320...I ran hoosiers for years including their radials...I loved them but was asked to try some MT's...I never looked back as the MT's were much more consistent for me and now are even more stupid good with these PBR's...

Curious as to how they are going to work in the summer on a ~normal~ prepped bracket track. I'll be needing some new tires later this year and might give this a go if they are still good. I ran Hoosier 13.5x32 stiff sidewall for years and loved them, then switched to MT 14x32 stiff sidewall because it was a medium compound and so far have been really pleased with it, especially with how it responds to the higher summer track temps. But like most racers, I'm always on the lookout for something better.

Posts: 525 | Location: Orange County, NC | Registered: September 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! Fuzzy dice what does your car 60 ft. and e.t? The main thing are they consistent? I have heard of some people having a wobble with the radial tires. Did you make any chassis changes when you switched to the PBR?
I am thinking of putting these on a S-10 that 60s in the 1.19 to 1.20 range and goes 5.69 to 5.71 1/8th mile.
The main thing are they consistent?
I currently have 14x32 hoosiers with a D-05 compound. I have noticed some tearing of the tread like they might be a little soft on the compound.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
if your car/suspension works and you don't race on a junk track, they are consistent, if not you'll spin as if on ice.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFR:
I have noticed some tearing of the tread like they might be a little soft on the compound.

My D05's would do that. I use C07's now and they work like a champ and don't get that crazy feathering.

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Fuzzy is your car transbraked?

Posts: 11 | Location: Here | Registered: February 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How well or consistent I should say would this tire work on a sbc 4link dragster?

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
What are the advantages of a radial over a bias other than being faster? It sounds like they don't last as long and won't work on sub par track surface.

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by novaX522:
What are the advantages of a radial over a bias other than being faster? It sounds like they don't last as long and won't work on sub par track surface.

I have very limited experience with non-radials on my Nova, but I've not found them to be any quicker than a bias slick with similar air pressure.

I don't think they are any less durable than a bias slick, and would argue that the sidewalls last longer due to the more robust construction and higher psi run in them.

They are less forgiving than a bias slick, for sure. What I love about them is that if the car hooks, the 60 is going to be the same as it was the previous run. There is no 'fell off .03 after the jet cars' or when the sun came out or whatever. If she hooks, it's deadly.

The only trick is getting your car to where it will always hook. I've gotten it to the point that if I do happen to spin, the track is really garbage for everyone. It has happened 3-4 times in the last 10 years.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY!

18 years and thousands of passes running on Hoosier radial slicks on both 30/10.5 and 32/13.5.

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Curious as to how they are going to work in the summer on a ~normal~ prepped bracket track.

I will know this shortly as temps are heating up down here...I race again tomorrow and the temp is supposed to be high 80's...we'll see...I can say I have run them on test n tune nights, regular old events at orlando and the big foot deal...dead hook every time...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
"Thanks for the replies! Fuzzy dice what does your car 60 ft. and e.t?"

My junk is slow...I run pump gas...1.42/44 short times and 6.50's in the 1/8...my buddy runs these tires on his malabu wagon...on wed. night he made 5 passes at a test n tune...1.45 60' on every pass and 4.26 at the 330' on every pass...