DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Powerglide input question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powerglide input question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
When going to the 1.250 input shaft for a powerglide from ringless turbo spline what else needs to be changed in the transmission. I know the converter is different. I would assume the spline in the sun gear and direct clutch hub is different? Can the same pump be used or modified or is it completely different pump. I am just curious what is actually involved in making that change over.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
As per Hutch..C&P..

The switch to a 1.250 shaft (pump,shaft,planetary,hub.sun gear) will require a completely new converter also.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
its costly, thats why i didnt do it

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ok thank you. I appreciate the information. Thats kind of what I figured.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The next logical step up from a 1" ringless shaft is to go 35 spline 1.125".
This will require a shaft, pump, clutch hub and a planet drive sun depending on what planet you have. The converter will require a new turbine spline but not an entirely different converter. There are step shafts out there also that allows the use of an existing 19 spline input on the planet but converts the front to 35 spline at the turbine through to the hub.

Hutch

Posts: 24 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The next logical step up from a 1" ringless shaft is to go 35 spline 1.125".
This will require a shaft, pump, clutch hub and a planet drive sun depending on what planet you have. The converter will require a new turbine spline but not an entirely different converter. There are step shafts out there also that allows the use of an existing 19 spline input on the planet but converts the front to 35 spline at the turbine through to the hub.

This very helpful. Thank you. The 1.125 sounds like the way to go especially since I will be having a new converter built anyway and I am probably changing over to a 1.69 low gear. Just a dumb question can an existing high volume pump be modified or is it a completely different pump. Not trying to cheap out just seeing what can and cannot be done.

Thanks again.

B.J. Masiello