DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    BBC rear seal adapter?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBC rear seal adapter?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
Has anyone used the adapters to install the mark 4 crankshaft into the later one piece gen V and VI block?
https://www.jegs.com/i/Stefs/861/7036/10002/-1

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Bruce I’ve never used the BB version but have used the SB type. I have the Jesel seal alignment tool on a shelf. It’s just a chunk of steel machined to lay in the rear main saddle and has seal adapter alignment portion.

I have built a Gen VI 502 but used a one piece seal crank.

The small blocks were later model Bowtie blocks. Had to use adapters.

Had no problem with any of them.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input Rich.
I have to non Mark 4 blocks and several 2 piece RMS cranks.
Trying to clean house and figure out how to "market" this stuff.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The 5&6 blocks have potential issues with fit on oil pans and timing covers, if I recall right.

I think they also use a different head gasket to mate Mark 4 heads to those blocks.

I built a street strip 502. New block, new crank Gen VI and Mark 4 oval port heads. Ended up in a Nova racecar and went in the 9’s.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
I used Steffs adaptors years back, and as I recall they were kinda easy to use. The had 2 for bbc 7035 and 7036.
and the gasket to use up to about 4.530 was a 1017-1 or -2 . They were embossed with mk 4 and gen 5&6 printoseal.
Gsk bore was 4.540
Hope this helps.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Gen 5 Bowtie blocks use an adapter on the block and a Mark IV cap. I've never seen or heard of a problem with the adapters on the blocks. Of course, the adapters are factory installed and may be in place when final machining happens.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 487 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post