Notify
Tools

Starting
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Ok guys some people tell my
-first put the ignition switch on then hit the starter button
-or hit the starter switch, then after the starter is spinning then hit the ignition button
any suggestions would be be great thank you
BBC 540
1250 gas nothing special

Posts: 10 | Location: NYC | Registered: November 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
On alky I used to spin the engine over and hit the ignition switch. Now I’m on gas and I use an Accusump so I just turn on the ignition switch and hit the starter. Both were on 16 volts.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have always hit the starter then ignition, but thats with injection to get some fuel moving.

Some will tell you it will prevent kick backs doing it that way and it may but I have had starter kick backs and trashed starter and ring gears doing it this way also until I switched to the 139 tooth Meziere set up

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Whatever works for you. Some prefer one way, some prefer the other, and some have to do one or the other because of the already mentioned kickbacks.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slick Vic:
Whatever works for you. Some prefer one way, some prefer the other, and some have to do one or the other because of the already mentioned kickbacks.

This along with start retard if it helps

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
SPin then hit ignition,but never ran anything except injection rahter NA or blown.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify your post (starting), are you talking about the very first start of the day??

Or, are you talking about any starting during the day ??

And maybe specify weather temp if first start… 40* or 75* ??

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
a properly wired and installed electrical system for the starter will negate start retards and make no matter as to which switch you throw first . A properly phased rotor and timing will take can of any issues outside of the starter electrical circuit . All the other tricks of the day are just a bandaid .

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tony4569:
Ok guys some people tell my
-first put the ignition switch on then hit the starter button
-or hit the starter switch, then after the starter is spinning then hit the ignition button
any suggestions would be be great thank you
BBC 540
1250 gas nothing special

Gas carb simply pump it once or twice, turn on ignition, hit starter button. If it does not start right up you have other issues and you need to determine what they are and resolve them.

Now if you are running alcohol or especially injected alcohol you have to try different things until you get it right.

With all of that said I have broke a brand new SFI flexplate with in a few weeks after I went to injected hat. I went to the 139 tooth flexplate and starter and one of best investments you can make. Not a problem since. They are close to same diameter of the 168 tooth flexplate but it has less teeth and they are larger. They are much tougher and it spins over faster.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3984 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No the car starts with no problem I was just wonder which way is rite for my set up.

Posts: 10 | Location: NYC | Registered: November 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If the car is starting up no problem then keep doing what you're doing.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post