DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Air Hitch by Air Safe Hitch Technology
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Hitch by Air Safe Hitch Technology
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted
Has anyone used these with a Weight Distribution setup for their Truck or gas motor home?

I saw these a while back, and was wondering how well they worked, especially with a gas Motor home. This looks like it would be easier to setup, store, and appears it would take a bunch of stress off of the rear of a Motor home.

I used to have a gas motor home and had a Trailer toad I used on it. The Toad worked well, just a little bit on inconvenience when having to back up, and also a little work getting it into the back of the MH by yourself. Overall, it wasn't bad though.

I've been looking a motor homes again off and on, and was curious if this could be a possibility to help take some stress off of the rear of a motorhome.

Input from any who have used this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of popper
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I have one on the back of my Country Coach to pull my 28 ft Vintage but I do not have a weight distribution hitch, just the air hitch. Love the way it takes the pounding out of the back of the coach and everything rides much better in the front of the trailer also. Wouldn't tow without one now.

popper
John Lynch

Posts: 229 | Location: Kingston, Illinois | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, John

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
They don't remove any stress, they just don't let you feel it in the seat of your pants. Just like better shocks won't increase the GVRW in your pick up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
I was thinking if I get another gas MH, that I would have the rear frame reinforced, and maybe go this route to help reduce the wear and tear.

I'm just thinking out loud right now.

Thanks Roger

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
They don't remove any stress, they just don't let you feel it in the seat of your pants. Just like better shocks won't increase the GVRW in your pick up.

Bingo!!! they also dont move weight back to the steer axle of the tow vehicle like a WD hitch does.

My WD hitch doesn't bang the tow vehicle like everyone complains about.

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
The one I'm looking at has the weight distribution set up along with the air bag. That's what got me thinking about it.

So,.if the airbag takes out the shock factor, and the weight distribution puts the weight back.to.the steer tires, I'm thinking it should be a good fit. Are my thoughts logical?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure where this shock deal is coming from. I have never felt what I would call "shock" while towing.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have one and the only 2 things I dislike are the cost and having to add air to the bag..... I should probably put nitrogen in it but haven't..... had to replace the air bag once cause it rubbed a hole in it.....

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
some hitches add length to the hitch, which is not good imo

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
http://shockerhitch.com/Receiver_Hitch.php
this one does not add extra length.that being said if you have the weight bars on correctly they should absorb the shock

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Rusty, that's only rated to 12k lbs...

The cushion ball is at least rated to 20k lbs.

None of these will help my application...mini 5th
wheel up and over 24k lbs.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
yes i diddnt read small print,was jut looking at design being closer to reciever

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
i looked at the shocker hitch, but they don't have an option to attach the Weight distribution bars.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Tom

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the name of it but I remember seeing a hitch that was a torsion style hitch, like the axles on a trailer

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TPaton:
i looked at the shocker hitch, but they don't have an option to attach the Weight distribution bars.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Tom

I don't see how any system similar to these can use a weight distribution setup, it would defeat the purpose of it.

I also don't see how these can help without a shock being used.

IMO you are better off getting your trailer weight load balanced, and a setting up your weight distribution hitch correctly. I see no need for any fancy stuff here. The Trailer Toad and Tuff Tow are only needed for heavy loads form large trailers/stackers.

Also make sure your trailer hitch is securely attached to the MH. Many MH's need help in this area especially the ones that had to have their chassis frames extended for the coach body, they were not designed to take this kind of loading and need to be reinforced.

I would also say if you need a trailer toad/etc, you really need a bigger tow vehicle!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Top38,
That's why input the post up. I wasn't sure if it would be beneficial.

I agree on reinforcement on the rear of the motorhome. I'm not sure if I'm going to get another one or not....still.on the fence about that.

Also regarding the trailer toad, I had one to help the motorhome. With my truck, my current weight distribution set up does just fine.
Like I said I saw these, and was curious about if people actually use them and how they worked, in case I do get another motorhome.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The Trailer Toad does keep all the tongue weight off the coach and absorb the "impacts" handed out by the highways but I think most of my customers will agree "it is the smoother ride, less sway and better control" that keeps them using the Trailer Toad. Bracing the frame can't hurt anything but if it was just about the frame, what happens where you stop the bracing?
We are selling more and more of these to Prevost and full-size bus owners, not because the frame won't take it but they want to protect their investment from the stresses of towing a trailer.
Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
Jok, i.had a toad when i.had my motorhome, and it towed great. I.had a 31 ft sightseer with a 24' fully loaded enclosed trailer. I liked the toad and it is a good.product
When I saw these, I just thought this may be easier in a few ways. Thats what i.wanted opinions from.anyone who may of had one.
If I ever get another motorhome, most likely I'll.be meeting an there toad.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
https://genyhitch.com/shop/?gc...9EAAYASAAEgL_GvD_BwE

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi