Find
Notify
Tools

Chassis Cert
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted
Cleaning up the race car today as the trailer is down south.

Holy Cow! the chassis cert runs out the 31st. I thought I had another year to go.

I thought I had read somewhere that ALL chassis, even those that were home built need a builders tag. Is that true and where do I get one? I couldn't find anything on this in the NHRA online rulebook because I'm search function challenged.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
NO requirement for a "builder's tag" that I can find in the 2020 Rule Book

Section 21, page 22 General Regulations

4:11 ROLL CAGE
Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, Top Alcohol Dragster, Top Alcohol Funny Car, Comp, Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super Gas, and 9.99 or quicker E.T. chassis (see Class Requirements) must have a serialized chassis sticker affixed to frame before participating in any NHRA member track event. Certifications are available at NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series national events, NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series events, or by making prior arrangements through a division office. All chassis must be recertified every three years unless otherwise specified in Class Requirements

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yes it needs to have a serial number, the builder, and year. They started looking for this in 2019, see this thread: https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...5460652/m/4377026286

If your car doesn't have one it's acceptable to make your own and affix it to the chassis with pop rivets.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I made the one for the dragster I built with stamps and welded to chassis have a friend that builds chassis’s that has a trophy shop make his

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mine is epoxied on.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
post the section/page in the current NHRA Rule Book or it's just internet forum hearsay and I'll save you some time while you're looking, it's not in the ET section 4A, not in the Advance ET Section 4B and it's not anywhere in General Regulations.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Do whatever you want but I remembered this:

[IMG]Screenshot-20201226-182525
upload images for free
[/IMG]

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
NOT the NHRA Rule Book and why would you need a "builder Tag", you've got a shytbox chevelle built by GM with a rollbar in it. The VIN is the "builder tag"

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
The last car I had when I went for the cert, the inspector required a builder tag and serial number before he would do cert on the chassis. The original one couldn't be removed without destroying it and the information on it, and because the tubing it was on had to be removed to do the updates, I couldn't reuse it. This was for the NHRA Advanced ET cert. I made one of my own and tacked it on, passed cert no problem. I'd have to look back at the rulebook to see if there is a requirement, but I don't remember one in there...I just know he wouldn't do the cert without the tag.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Just contact you local div office and ask them. If the person who answers does not know get the phone number of their inspector.

I can see this as maybe a requirement for a 6.00 and quicker chassis cert but not for anything slower.

Posts: 2395 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I borrowed a dragster to run at rockingham top dragster last year and it only had a 7.50 IHRA tag on it.I tried to get an NHRA 6.00 tag on it and there was a big to do with nhra tech about the thickness of two bars.
This car was originally built by jerry fritz but was re caged by a local guy and there was no builder tag on the car.
NHRA had not even a concern about a builder tag and were all over these 2 bars..there was two tech guys and the division 2 director all involved.
The end result was they would only put a 7.50 tag on it..had nothing to do with missing a builders tag

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
jenavet...KNOWS

further, there is no requirement for a "builder tag" in Top Dragster and Top Sportsman either.

The FACTS and the TRUTH!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For the ten minutes it would take, I don't see a negative to adding one. I was just trying to help. Maybe you should lawyer up if NHRA asks for a tag.

PS I wrote my serial number on the rollbar of my shytbox Chevelle with crayons and passed tech every time! I think I did it after I was licking the windows!
The other car I own that needs a chassis cert has always had a tag.

Cool

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
I was just trying to help.

that's what the fake news media would have you believe too. They have an agenda, like you have an agenda. You're not helping anyone reciting rumor and hearsay.

A "builder's tag" is not required per the NHRA 2020 Rule Book, end of discussion.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have no agenda. I'm fake news now?
Cool! I'll get Tshirts made tomorrow!

Maybe you should call S&W that posted about needing a tag or the person that will actually do your chassis cert. Most people here could easily make a tag and affix it to their car instead of arguing but what fun would that be!

1320,You seem to have an agenda though. What did my cutup shytbox ever do to you? I don't think I ever raced you.

It's racing, not a car show. Can't wait for the blah, blah response. You might be right about not racing anymore though, I've just been coming to this site for years, are you kicking me out?

Sorry to derail the question but that's what usually happens if you reply on DRR anymore.

Cool

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not sure about now, but I do know when my dad tried to get his 850 cert to a 750 cert in 2011/2012, it failed for not having a vin number or chassis tag.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
All I know is that Ed can post over and over like usual that it’s not in the rule book but I had to have one for a 6.0 tag in 2019 in Division 1. The inspector specifically asked me about it and said that it’s always been a rule but they haven’t been enforcing it until that year. Maybe they’ve stopped caring about it again since then.

This is also why S&W made the post about serial number plates.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you don't know shyt! A "builder's tag" has never been required to get a chassis cert, never been in the NHRA rule book and never been enforced by the 4 NHRA employees/chassis inspectors that have certified my car that has never had a "builder's tag" from the day it was born and here's the best part, my car was last certified in 2019, 1 month after the S&W chassis cert and guess who did it. Big Grin

Maybe S&W made that post which is partially in Spanish, to make a few $ from the import crowd at the chassis cert held at their shop. Wink

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Nhra tech guy just cert our car last march no builder tag nhra sticker is on the cage.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1383 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
of course it is, not a requirement per the NHRA Rule Book and never was.