DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dry Sump system how much power gain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry Sump system how much power gain
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I decided to put a dry sump oil system on my 14 degree big chief 622. What kind of power do you think the dry sump will gain. I have heard between 30 to 50 hp.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, or not, I have a Corvette with a manual transmission and dry sump oiling. The automatics came with wet sump oiling. While GM is eager to take credit for a 6 hp gain for the optional exhaust, they make no claim of hp gain between the wet and dry sump offerings???

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2329 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
No appreciable power gain from just installing a dry sump. Gains will be in better vacuum control, which will make some more power. Gains will be in consistent oiling with a large stroke, decreased windage, nickles and dimes in a pan with a large kickout (windage) , ability to prime the engine.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen a dragster pick up a tenth...

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
In general you will see an HP gain on the dyno with a dry sump vs wet sump w/a vac pump but on track usually noting as the added power is offset by the added weight of the dry sump system. If you pick up anything worth while, likely you had an issue to start with or never used a vac pump with the wet sump. The larger the stroke in a motor, the more potential HP gain there is due to less windage with a large crank and rods plowing through it.

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Too many rabbit holes to chase when you talk about optimizing your oiling systems for HP gain, to generalize or put a number on the expectations.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1606 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I gained any power or not, likely did, but I do have solid oil pressure in the shutdown area!!!!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Drain 2 quarts out of a 8 quart pan and see what the gain is ET wise. Maybe not horsepower on the dyno but ET. I tried it for one pass on my 632 and picked up almost a tenth because I thought about going dry sump and with that experiment I’d say worth the money. So I’ll say with no oil in the pan you’ll gain a little over a tenth if that’s all you change. This was with a moroso Aluminum pan. If you have a high dollar pan to control the oil you may not gain much

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
IHRA had to institute a minimum oil level rule in Top Stock class.... Wink

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1606 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
The only time not swinging a crank thru oil is a disadvantage, is when there isn't any oil. No one in their right mind would say that a dry sump isn't an advantage. Is it worth the cost in your case? Only you can decide.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
I’ll say I bit the bullet on my 421 Sbc and adding the dry sump for 3 reasons. 1 being a little Et gain 2 being the engine has to be more consistent with the crank not having all the oil thrown around and the other is not loosing oil psi in the shutdown. Is it worth the 4,500 for everything maybe not to some but for me it is. As far as weight gain from the dry sump I’m adding maybe 10 lbs to the car. Removing the vacuum pump will equal out with the dry sump pump, adding the primer and remote filter will be about the same weight as the wet sump pump. So I’m adding the weight of the tank (5 lbs 6 qt tank) and the hoses and extra fittings.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Guys thanks for the feedback. I decided to put the system on. I have already received everything from Moroso. I am excited to have the oil pressure in the shut down. Also we will see what et it gains.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post