Bracket Talk
Dragster suspension styles

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/3687069286

May 18, 2019, 09:47 AM
Bucky
Dragster suspension styles
It's been a while since this was discussed. What are the trends now in 4 link designs in dragsters? I see some tie the bottom bars together and run no roll bar or wishbone. Some have the shocks up top and some in the rear. Single vs double.
I'm running an old MW single shock design that uses the anti roll to suspend the car as well. Not my favorite design, but it has worked well since getting the converter and the shock valving correct. As I get a bit faster, I'm wondering how it will be.

What are your favorites?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
May 18, 2019, 10:23 AM
Big Steve
These pix are from when my car was brand new. Undercover dual shock swing arm. I believe they were using this configuration up until they closed up shop. It has worked really well for me from brackets to the switch to TD

May 18, 2019, 10:05 PM
WHOMPWHOMP
XLink..two shocks hung off the back like old school hard to beat...would be my choice today..
May 18, 2019, 10:08 PM
Roger McGinnis
In any set up, the most optimum is for the shock piston to travel the same direction as the pivot point. Obviously, the longer the shock travel needed the less this can be, ie offroad buggies, stadium trucks etc. Drag cars don't need much travel. Set them up straight.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
May 19, 2019, 06:06 AM
Bucky
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
In any set up, the most optimum is for the shock piston to travel the same direction as the pivot point. Obviously, the longer the shock travel needed the less this can be, ie offroad buggies, stadium trucks etc. Drag cars don't need much travel. Set them up straight.

I'm not sure I understand your statement the way you wrote it. Usually the pivot point is stationary right? Are you referring to the ratio of axle movement to shock movement?

In the first picture, the sleeves that are on the four link bars...are those tacked on or free to move around the bar? If free, you could extend and shorten the bars at least I would think.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
May 19, 2019, 08:13 AM
Big Steve
The X Link floats on the bottom bars so you can adjust them
May 19, 2019, 09:32 AM
Roger McGinnis
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I'm not sure I understand your statement the way you wrote it.

Then I probably can't help you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Roger McGinnis,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ