Find
Notify
Tools

bbc block....
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted
....question plz . what block is this ? (ie: generation ? . 1pc? 2pc?) . .#361959 . thx .

photo DragsterResize_zps157f6b5f.jpg
 photo wao-painting-logo-1_zpse0a5ba9f.jpg

Posts: 633 | Location: chiefland fl. | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
1-piece rear main, Mark IV

The correct spelling is hilLIARy

Posts: 423 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
quick google search says

361959 is a 1973-85 454 car & truck block

......so it's a low deck, 2 piece rear main

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 847 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
ummm . ok ? .which is it !

Posts: 633 | Location: chiefland fl. | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Mortec lists it as a 76 to 90 454 truck block and can be 2 or 4 bolt and would be old style 2 piece rear seal.

Posts: 1521 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1521 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
Only way to know if it's 4bolt is to pull the pan off ? . It came in my 78 jet boat and it's crammed in there.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
There is no way that I know of other than looking at the bottom end to tell. Nothing that is a for sure marker on the outside of the block.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Chevy used some of these for OTC LS7's, they'll be 4-bolt. Ain't but one way to find out for sure, though...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Busted Knuckles,

Posts: 423 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
That is probably true. LS-7's were cheap to buy in the 1980's and made for a good bracket engine. They needed to be taken apart and gone thru to make them right. I did some. Around $2000 bought one back then. Put an early heavy Camaro right in the 10's with ease.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
LS-6 had a very short dome closed chamber shaped dome with 990 or 188 heads. LS-7 had full open chamber dome pistons with same heads and cam. .560-.580 lift solid lifter.

DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
This has 990s on it and alum oem intake , it looks high for an oem intake (snowflake on the #1 runner) #3933163(came on 396/375 and 427/425 copo)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: W.A.O. 111,

DRR Pro
Picture of Canted Valve
posted Hide Post
Mark IV's use to have "Hi Perf" cast into the block, implying 4 bolt mains. It was back by the oil filter if I recall correctly.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 1301 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
Yes . I just found that . At the top of block at #7
Says hi perf then a few letters and numbers

DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperComp517
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
Mark IV's use to have "Hi Perf" cast into the block, implying 4 bolt mains. It was back by the oil filter if I recall correctly.

The very first engine block that I ever bought (around 1985) came out of a used dump truck. It was stamped "Hi-Perf" as well. Under or near the timing cover. It was a 2 bolt. NAPA store looked up the numbers and said it came out of a 70's Vette. Who knows? but it was for sure 2 bolt main. I thought I really had something special, never used it and stored it in a drum of oil. My dad sold it just a few years ago for $50 LOL

Posts: 92 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Canted Valve
posted Hide Post
If it says HI PERF back by the filter it IS a 4 bolt. My 427 Corvette had it. Told my brother about it and he made sure the Vette he was looking at had it. Also, at least for the cast iron heads, on top of the heads after you pull the valve cover if it has HI PERF cast in the head it is the good big rectangular intake ports. His 990 casting will have that.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 1301 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
Yes the heads have that too . .

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Every big block I've seen has "Hi Perf" cast into it. With one exception - that being one casting made in around '90 that are all 4-bolt - you're gonna have to pull the pan to tell.

DRR Trophy
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Busted Knuckles:
Every big block I've seen has "Hi Perf" cast into it. With one exception - that being one casting made in around '90 that are all 4-bolt - you're gonna have to pull the pan to tell.

YOU ARE RIGHT, IF YOU LOOK CLOSE AT THE MAIN WEBBING ALL THE "HIGH PERF" BLOCKS HAVE THE EXTRA IRON CAST WHERE THE EXTRA BOLTS ARE DRILLED BUT ALL ARE NOT DRILLED. YOU CAN TAKE 4 BOLT CAPS AND INSTALL THEM AND THEN DRILL THE EXTRA BOLT HOLES, I HAVE A BLOCK THAT I DID MYSELF BACK WHEN I WORKED AT A AUTOMOTIVE MACHINE SHOP.
THE HIGH PERF BLOCKS THAT ARE 4 BOLT FROM THE FACTORY ARE TAPPED 3/4"14NP THREADS JUST ABOVE THE OIL FILTER THAT IS USED FOR CONNECTING AN OIL COOLER. IIRC THE 2 BOLT BLOCKS ARE DRILLED EITHER 3/8" PIPE OR 1/2" PIPE. I HAVE NOT HAD ANY LUCK POSTING PICTURES BUT IF SOMEONE WANTS TO SEND ME A TEXT I CAN SEND THE PIC FROM MY CELL PHONE 225-978-4830

Posts: 167 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
There is no way that I know of other than looking at the bottom end to tell. Nothing that is a for sure marker on the outside of the block.

IF THE BLOCK IS TAPPED 3/4" PIPE THREAD FROM THE FACTORY ON THE OIL PORT JUST ABOVE THE OIL FILTER I WILL GUARANTEE YOU IT IS FOUR BOLT. THE TWO BOLT BLOCKS WERE TAPPED SMALLER EITHER 1/2" OR 3/8", I CANNOT REMEMBER AND DO NOT HAVE A TWO BOLT BLOCK IN MY SHOP. ALSO ON THE TWO BOLT BLOCK I CONVERTED TO FOUR BOLT CAPS I DRILLED AND TAPPED THE OIL PORT TO 3/4"14NP LIKE FACTORY.
ALL HIGH PERF BLOCKS ARE CAST THE SAME AND CAN BE DRILLED TO THE FOUR BOLT SPECKS.

Posts: 167 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post