DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Unexpected results
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unexpected results
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
So, as I continue to pack and prep for my upcoming move, I was putting my dragster back together-ish for transport. There were still three piston and rod assemblies sitting on the floor, so I decided to check something. More of a curiosity thing but still.....anyway, I weighed two rod and piston assemblies. Gibtec pistons, pins, and total seal rings, MGP aluminum rods. Total weight for two assemblies was 3250 grams. Then I decided to weigh my new pistons and hardware, and going off the advertised weight of my new rods, compare the two. Believe it or not, there is only 225 grams difference between my new stuff and my old stuff. New stuff will be Molnar power adder plus rods, and JE pistons. I could go with just the power adder rods, which are about 60 grams lighter than the power adder plus rods, but I already had pistons made for the other rods.....that's 8oz which is a lot, but honestly I thought it would be more.......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Molnar’s country of origin is the same as Manley, scat, eagle, compstar.

NO professional engine builder or racer install any of these rods in a race engine because they are better than a rod made in the USA

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Actually Ed, there are many professional engine builders that use his rods, and I know of more than one that prefers them over the Callies rods and others......

Not trying to start an argument of any kind, but your statement is factually wrong....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mark, it’s your engine, just telling you incase you didn’t know. That said, I wouldn’t use an engine builder that prefers Chinese rods over American made Callie’s Ultra rods which have become the go to rods in bracket, TD, TS and throttle stop engines and this statement is factually correct and so is my previous statement..

NO professional engine builder or racer install any of these rods in a race engine because they are better than a rod made in the USA

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, I actually called Callies on those rods. They did not and won't make them in the length that I need or I would have ordered them. I did consider Carrillo, but at nearly $5k for a set, I just couldn't see spending that much money on a set of rods....

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Now if I could run the 7.1" rods, I'd be set, but the ring pack on my pistons is already as high as it can go...the pin goes to the top of the oil ring groove....so that's out.....I wish they made a 7" though.....

Mark Goulette

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Could you not offset the bushing in the rod to go 7 inch?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'm at 7" now Vern. Running 7.1" isn't a good idea considering I run nitrous as well....it puts the ring pack too close to the top of the piston.....If I was na, I'd do the longer rod in a heartbeat.....

Mark Goulette

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I meant to offset the bushings to go down to 7 from 7.1

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Not sure that can be done Vern, that's a lot of material to move....then another issue pops up with the top of the rod and underside of the piston clearance....No worries though, parts are in boxes until after my move....so nothing is going to happen until then.....

Mark Goulette

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I'm just going to leave this here.

Callies Imports rods from China, see below.

https://www.importyeti.com/com...performance-products

Sunglory Performance Parts
6 Long Tan Rd Nanchang Economy & Tech Zone

Racing Car Engine Connecting Rods, Racing Car Engine Bracket, Connecting Rod, Connecting Rods

H.S. Codes: (8511.90, 8409.99, 4013.10, 8412.31)
See all bills of lading with this company

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes they do, their compstar line

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I don't actually believe JUST because they aren't made in the USA, they are junk. If the stuff is made in a nice place with the proper steel and equipment, and thoroughly checked, it should be just what the manufacturer says it is. That said, I'm not talking about the guys on tiktok in Pakistan making rods in bare feet.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, the manufacturer whose name is on the box no mind you has anyway of knowing the quality of steel this junk is being produced from, there is no on-site American inspector verifying it as well the QA/QC. That said, if that’s not an issue for you, that’s your choice, your engine, your $.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Bob, the manufacturer whose name is on the box no mind you has anyway of knowing the quality of steel this junk is being produced from, there is no on-site American inspector verifying it as well the QA/QC. That said, if that’s not an issue for you, that’s your choice, your engine, your $.

I have Olivers in my good engine.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Shake head Blue Man

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

You should post up the brand of rods your engine builder put in your high-dollar smoke machine when it blew the bottom out of the "best appearing car" you had to buy to have. As if it had anything to due with you....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I disagree with Chinese quality control. It has come leaps and bounds over what it used to be. Especially if you use an ISO certified supplier.

At my previous job, we imported supplies and parts from China, Italy and Australia.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Then use it in your junk! I am very familiar with Chinese “quality” and it is abysmal!!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shake head Blue Man

I Know. I try to do the right thing lol. They are the older ones I believe. Made in 09. Probably only 400 runs total on them.