DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How many runs on Crankshaft
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many runs on Crankshaft
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted
Just curious, I have a Callies Compstar 4.250 Crank in y 565 that has approx 1200 passes on it. Probably 1100 of those are 1/8 mile. Motor will be due for a freshen after this coming season. Was thinking about maybe going to a 4.375. Is there a # of passes on a crank when you guys would say thats enough & time to replace

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
It's time. Cheap insurance. Just think about the damage and expense a broken crank would cause.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t know the number of runs but I ran my Callie’s Magnum 4.375 12 seasons without issues. This crank is still standard on rods and main journals but was never spun over 7200 rpms. If I had to guess I would say 1500 runs or more. It’s my spare motor now.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
Has the crank ever suffered any trauma like a broken rear end or broken engine part and loss of oil pressure?

If so, it's time.

If not, what's the convertor stall and trap RPM?
You can estimate cycles using an average RPM between the two, multiply by run time of the lap and burnout and come up with a number. Making some guesses, your crank has under 750,000 cycles on it. My brother's crank had just under 750,000 cycles on it.

My brother's Callies Magnum went 820 laps before it failed but it experienced a broken pinion at the launch once and a broken rocker once at 820 feet and oil pressure went to zero. The kicker was that 27 laps before it broke, the engine guy "inspected" it for cracks and missed the one in the #4 main fillet.

If I was to put my brother's engine on a program, I'd be replacing cranks at 500,000 cycles which is around 560 laps or about every 3 years.

Sell your crank to some kid and buy some peace of mind.
YMMV.

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Time to put it on racing junk as "dyno time only"!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
According to the number of runs provided, the crank has 170 miles on it at wide open throttle, including burnouts.

Call the manufacturer for their opinion. Mention 170 miles WFO

NASCAR crankshafts are sold at 800 miles. Who knows how many miles they see WFO after that.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Right. That is in the back of my mind for sure

quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
It's time. Cheap insurance. Just think about the damage and expense a broken crank would cause.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Never had an issue where oil pressure went to 0.Converter Stalls at 6800. Trap RPM 74-7500

quote:
Originally posted by Rick!:
Has the crank ever suffered any trauma like a broken rear end or broken engine part and loss of oil pressure?

If so, it's time.

If not, what's the convertor stall and trap RPM?
You can estimate cycles using an average RPM between the two, multiply by run time of the lap and burnout and come up with a number. Making some guesses, your crank has under 750,000 cycles on it. My brother's crank had just under 750,000 cycles on it.

My brother's Callies Magnum went 820 laps before it failed but it experienced a broken pinion at the launch once and a broken rocker once at 820 feet and oil pressure went to zero. The kicker was that 27 laps before it broke, the engine guy "inspected" it for cracks and missed the one in the #4 main fillet.

If I was to put my brother's engine on a program, I'd be replacing cranks at 500,000 cycles which is around 560 laps or about every 3 years.

Sell your crank to some kid and buy some peace of mind.
YMMV.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I would call manufacture and if they say should not be problem I would have it checked while out. Then buy another and keep it for backup motor or sale it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4167 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Why not mag the crank and then you don't have to wonder ?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4442 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
^^^wet mag it for sure.

If it passes and you're not comfortable with it in your primary engine, use the crank and rods in a stroker with a factory block for a daily driver, street rod, etc. or sell it to a local that wants it for the same purpose.

Bottom line it this: If you cringe as the engine gets close to redline, replace it. If you can't/don't trust it, it'll always be in the back of your mind and will affect your racing.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 484 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Absolutely change it. I had a compstar in my 572 with just over 1000 hits and it checked out fine but changed it just for piece of mind

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks for all the opinions. I trust what I have but I also know there is nothing bulletproof. Will more than likely change it out after this season.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just for the heck of the discussion, how many people know somebody who broke a new crank compared to how many broke and old crank?
I had a Trick Flow crank that cracked on a main journal and it started eating that bearing and I got it out before it broke. It was only three seasons old.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Just for the heck of the discussion, how many people know somebody who broke a new crank compared to how many broke and old crank?
I had a Trick Flow crank that cracked on a main journal and it started eating that bearing and I got it out before it broke. It was only three seasons old.

Callies magnum, blown BBC 74 runs

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ahh the two piece option. Man that ruins one's day.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
See the ones with 1000 runs prove they stay together. Big Grin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
See the ones with 1000 runs prove they stay together. Big Grin

Don't they refer to that as "seasoned"?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Looks like the rods "Didn't leave the area" either
Great save. How much you throwing in that beast?
40?

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Looks like the rods "Didn't leave the area" either
Great save. How much you throwing in that beast?
40?

30lbs boost, most likely pushing 2500hp on a 2000hp rated crank. It obviously developed a crack then broke. Engine locked up tight, rods stayed in, some minor damage to the #1 main. Did bend all my Ti ext valves which sucked.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post