DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    adhesive worth a_____
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

adhesive worth a_____
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok maybe not tech as for car,but is for trailer.lOL

I have been trying to get a ceiling in trailer.Already insulated and trying to get aluminum up. Problem is getting a dahesive that worth and crap and will do half what it advertises. I have Loc tite power grip.Gorilla super construction and another loc tite. Gorilla adhesive has worked half ass. Which is about half as good as need to be.

Anyone know of good adhesive that can be applied to to rails and will hold a .030 sheet of aluminum. Most sheets will have a light ,A/C or vent fastened thru or around plus sides will have screws and the 45* SS pieces(crown mold for lack of better description). Still would like to know or feel that when I open door aluminum is not going to be sagging like 70 yo pair that have never seen a bra.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
I don't know what its called but you get it at automotive paint suppliers. its a two part adhesive. they use it to bond the plastic pieces on car bodies. Once you press the two together there's no getting them apart that's for sure. It works better than that super sticky 3M tape you put trailer panels on with

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We used a 3M(P/N 08609) to bond thin painted alum. too unpainted alum. angle with good results.
This was for a smooth bed cover on a S10 truck.

Posts: 41 | Location: east central ohio | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead On:
I don't know what its called but you get it at automotive paint suppliers. its a two part adhesive. they use it to bond the plastic pieces on car bodies. Once you press the two together there's no getting them apart that's for sure. It works better than that super sticky 3M tape you put trailer panels on with

Good point in fact there is one for splicing sheet metal panels.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Panel bond 2 part epoxy adhesive....

Expensive but works...

A special gun that mixes the 2 and once you stick 2 pieces together its not coming apart

I used it to fix a motorhome front hood hinges that came loose. Metal to fiberglass.

I clamped it in place and some got on the clamps and I could barely get the clamps off....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Plexus 2-component is used to hold boat hulls together. Many automotive uses.

Posts: 2 | Location: Western Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
while cost is a issue so is getting it right.With what I have spent on junk and add in butt load of time.I don't mind paying for something that works,well as long as I don't have to sell the car to pay for it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
From 30+ years in the glass and glazing business.
If you see a glass building that has no visible framing on the outside, the glass is held in place with silicone. NOT the run of the mill crap you buy in the home center.
Glazing/waterproofing silicone.
Dow Corning 795, structural glazing silicone
GE Silglaze
And others.
It needs to be able to move,+/- 50%
Close is Right Stuff, a low modulus type silicone, black and grey.
Spacer tape, double sided anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 to form the ideal joint.
Spots of double sided tape to set the thickness and spacing, and a structural silicone to hold the panels once it has cured.
Surface prep is important as with any application, acetone, pure lacquer thinner.
Trailers move a ton, so the panels need to be able to move as well, without shearing the adhesive, which is what happens with smooth side trailers and VHB tape. No secondary adhesive, and the tape cannot stand the movement of the trailer skin/framing.
Looks good when new, but will never stand up to the movement.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks good when new, but will never stand up to the movement.

That's why I ordered my trailer with screws!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post