DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    standard trans brake solenoide vs an enclosed solenoid
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

standard trans brake solenoide vs an enclosed solenoid
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted
why would I choose one over the other?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have a Coan bullet design enclosed solenoid Super Pro bracket racing VB and JW Pro Tree fast VB "standard. I'd be less concerned about the approach the manufacturer takes with the solenoid and more so on the level of effectiveness on the drag strip. I can't imagine anything better than the two I have.

The JW I have came merely by chance. We had a problem VB the pressure regulator would stick and JW just happened to have a display & in support of the race. Qualified the car in the race with the problematic VB, got up the next morning no pressure on the guage on the dash, stuck pressure regulator. The guy who owned the car hit the JW trailer, we swapped it out. It has been flawless 370 Pro Tree 3000 pound car. So good we bought another. It's been just as good, fast trans brake but smooth also, standard solenoid. We love those VB's.

That's my take, the solenoid design don't matter.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
just getting ready to put a fresh one in my trans. wasn't sure of the difference.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Either way you'll be fine. I bought a bunch of VB's from Godley over the years, "standard solenoids. He has a killer VB, he does as well. Can't say I ever heard a complaint or of a problem "standard solenoid on any of those either.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I like the idea of the enclosed solenoid over the pancake style where dirt and junk can get into the sliding mechanism.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I like the idea of the enclosed solenoid over the pancake style where dirt and junk can get into the sliding mechanism.

^^^This^^^

Posts: 2403 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
IMO enclosed makes more sense for bracket car. When consistency is rule one. With delay box any difference in react can be overridden .Now for Pro tree deal I would run what has been proven quicker and just clean the thing weekly if dirt was concern and quickest happened to be pancake style.

Has anyone seen good info on actual test of various ones that show whats quickest? Just curious.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Will the enclosed be a direct replacement? One company shows standard and long throw styles!

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Hughes solenoids have a much longer throw than many of the other common brands.

I've used a Hughes enclosed solenoid with a BTE valvebody, but I needed to use a 1/16" thick (I think) washer as a spacer.

I now have a FTI enclosed solenoid on the same trans and didn't need to do anything special.

You should measure the throw of your current solenoid and call the supplier of what you are looking at buying to be sure.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
How ya optimize the depth of the solenoid is, screw the solenoid out until you see it lose pressure on the T-brake, checked at the rear port on the case. Screw it back in just to the point the pressure recovers. Figure out the thickness of shim needed.