Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Bronze or composite gear
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bronze or composite gear
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of can'thitthetree
posted
It is time for a new distributor gear. Which is the way to go? Composite gears are around$100 and summit have a bronze for $34. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 43 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: December 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What camshaft do you have?

Posts: 73 | Location: Bradenton | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of can'thitthetree
posted Hide Post
Steel roller is the camshaft

Posts: 43 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: December 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Comp will tell you the composit is not designed for a BBC or engine with big valve springs or HV Oil pump

Retired but use to own:
2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12207 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If its a billet version you're limited to really the composite or bronze version. Of the two either the composite or the bronze will work depending on the application.

The composite gear will typically last longer but is less able to deal with high volume high pressure oil pumps and high RPM.

The bronze version will wear out quicker (COMP suggests once a year) but has more strength to deal with the added abuse brought by the above items.

If its a ductile iron version I would say neither, go with a hardened steel gear typically found on most distributors from aftermarket companies. Ductile iron will have a rougher finish between the lobes from the casting process.

As Paul said, of the two I would run the bronze gear or, if possible, the hardened gear.

Posts: 73 | Location: Bradenton | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Coloradoracer
posted Hide Post
Get the Everwear gear from Lunati. They last and are compatible with billet cams

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 255 | Location: Conifer, Colorado | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Use the bronze gear. No more composites for me. I failure is enough. I does not wear , it explodes.

Abbott Racing Heads
(432) 558-2841

Posts: 38 | Location: Crane, Texas | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Coloradoracer
posted Hide Post
The everwear gear will not wear out like bronze and is stronger than both the bronze and composite. I ran one for three seasons on billet roller cams and pretty much no wear on the gear....buy it once and forget about it.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 255 | Location: Conifer, Colorado | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I don't know what is going on, but I am still using the same bronze msd gear going on 10 or more years. SBC roller cam valve springs 225 on the seat 600 on the nose and a melling HV oil pump. Take the time to get cam endplay right,dist endplay right and the dist the correct depth into the block you won't be have any wear problems.

Posts: 59 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
this^^^

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 7878 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Kutsick
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wooley:
I don't know what is going on, but I am still using the same bronze msd gear going on 10 or more years. SBC roller cam valve springs 225 on the seat 600 on the nose and a melling HV oil pump. Take the time to get cam endplay right,dist endplay right and the dist the correct depth into the block you won't be have any wear problems.[/QUOTE

Same here, couldn't tell ya the last time I bought a gear.

No Box Bracket Challenge 2017

Posts: 564 | Location: Lenox MI | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have about 10 seasons on a composite. Small block.

Does your party represent personal responsibility?
Bill of non rights: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/law/non-rights.htm

Posts: 4534 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
same one from 2003

Posts: 83 | Location: pa | Registered: December 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post