DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Rear gear suggestion
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear gear suggestion
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted
My ring and pinion has decided to give up on me and now I'm debating going to a different ratio. It is a tube chassis car with sniper x headed 632 1.80 glide, 33x15x15 slicks. It had a 4.56 gear and am debating going to a 4.86 since it is 1/8 mile only and crosses the stripe at 7100 shifting 74-7500. My question is will that be too much starting line ratio? Traction is never an issue at this point, runs low 5.0's @138-139 with 1.09's-1.10's 60'.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Put a 5.13 with a 1.64 low. The converter will slip 5-6% crossing 7400. Instead of 10% as it is now. It'll rock n roll when you put it in high gear, et better.

Or a 5.00 x 1.64, starting line ratio will remain identical to it is now.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
How often do you make it to the final round?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not nearly enough.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
Not nearly enough.

If you get the right gear in it, that will change Smile I was in 13 S/Pro finals in 21 races, I ran a 3.89 gear, that gear wins a lot. I'd go with it Smile

Kidding of course. I'd do a 5.13 or a 5.00 with a 1.64 low. Just doing a 4.86 won't move your program forward. Do a 1.64 low w/ 5.00 or 5.13 , you'll be shifting lower rpm just to get in high gear sooner. Cross 7400 rpm wfo, or less ripping it.

1.80 x 4.86 = 8.74

1.64 x 5.00 = 8.20

1.80 x 4.56 = 8.20

1.64 x 5.13 = 8.41

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You could do a 1.58 low as well to improve the SLR for S/Pro bracket racing, it'll still et better with the convert closer to 1:1 with the engine.

1.58 x 5.00 7.90

1.58 x 5.13 8.10

If you just put a 4.86 gear it'll just challenge the tire more, with the SLR approaching the T400 SLR you already abandoned when you went PG. Converter might improve 1.5 2% efficiency.

If it's a 1/8 mile specific S/Pro bracket car, it's the perfect one for taking this approach. If it were me I'd want the back half super strong, with the front half mediocre.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Been weighing my options on getting through this season and getting it up and running quickly. I have a race this weekend so throwing a r&p in it for now and next time the trans is out will look hard at planetary swap.
Thanks for the input.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Been weighing my options on getting through this season and getting it up and running quickly. I have a race this weekend so throwing a r&p in it for now and next time the trans is out will look hard at planetary swap.
Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I wouldn't go that way with the SLR. You've already been there, I'd go the other way.

To be competitive S/Pro, you want a mediocre front and super strong back half for not only the tire, but affect (visual).

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I agree but I've also learned a lot since that time. What I thought was tire spin was actually lack of wheel speed on some runs. The car was borderline dead hooking or not. I now have ds sensor so can tell more what is going on.
Thanks again and I completely agree with your suggestion, time just doesn't allow right now.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree but I've also learned a lot since that time. What I thought was tire spin was actually lack of wheel speed on some runs. The car was borderline dead hooking or not. I now have ds sensor so can tell more what is going on.
Thanks again and I completely agree with your suggestion, time just doesn't allow right now.

What you wanna learn in terms of SLR and wheel speed is, it's easier to ad wheel speed through adjustments with enough SLR, than it is to subtract wheel speed through adjustment, too much SLR. No sensor can help, you want a mediocre front half with an exceptional back half S/Pro bracket racing, which is the equivalent of a inefficient converter early in the run and efficient converter late. 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile don't matter.

This is the quickest path to doing it 1/8 mile. 1000-1200 rpm drops at the shift with a loose converter at the stripe going 5.0's 1/8 mile ain't the easiest most efficient path to getting paid.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm actually struggling to get more wheel speed at this point. Can't seem to keep the speed up through .5 seconds.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm actually struggling to get more wheel speed at this point. Can't seem to keep the speed up through .5 seconds.

Can you post an image of the graph?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not sure how to put it on here.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure how to put it on here.

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...912/m/4367032496/p/1

Instructions scroll down

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
More gear doesn’t always translate to faster car.
I went from 4.10 to 4.56 same day and ran less than .01 difference and that was in 1/4 mile.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
I went from 4.10 to 4.56 same day and ran less than .01 difference and that was in 1/4 mile.

I believe it, have had several people tell me to go 4.30 gear but seems like that would just make it work the converter harder. Maybe that's not a bad thing just seems like additional heat for no reason but I'm just guessing.

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I'm curious of the results. I'm on the fence about a gear change myself, might go the opposite direction I was thinking Roll Eyes

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:

The rate of work (power) is dependent on torque and rpm

hp = torque x rpm / 5252

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Well I've found a 4.86 I'm going to use the rest of the season. I'll decide this winter what to put in it.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

Can you post an image of the graph?

I just made it a video and put it on you tube.

https://youtu.be/Wu3vYLolj58