DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Engine bolt failures
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engine bolt failures
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted
I saw this page today and found it interesting. I see quite a few examples of this at work.
fastener failures

but never having had an internal fastener failure inside an engine myself, I am curious as to what you have seen with rod bolts and such. Or is the carnage usually too great to really tell?

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Carnage was too great for me to tell. Either I spun a main, or the rod bolt failed. Crank was broken in 3 pieces, with 1 rod bolt's nut off the cap. And this was in a 5800 rpm 12 second Olds.

It is also why I believe every dedicated bracket car should have a diaper.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckT:
Carnage was too great for me to tell. .

that is kind of what I thought I might hear. So far only a spun rob bearing and lifter wheel for me.

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckT:
Carnage was too great for me to tell. Either I spun a main, or the rod bolt failed. Crank was broken in 3 pieces, with 1 rod bolt's nut off the cap. And this was in a 5800 rpm 12 second Olds.

It is also why I believe every dedicated bracket car should have a diaper.

Spun bearings will show heat! So its tuff to miss these! No black and purple colored parts anywhere would indicate a catastrophic parts failure first then pow!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post