DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Powder Coating Wheels?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Coating Wheels?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Want to powdercoat my wheels black. Who has done it and the pros and cons?

Flat, Semi Gloss or Gloss???

Thx

Posts: 497 | Location: N/A | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Did a set in Gloss Black. Only con really was that it scratched kinda easy, not sure it was baked properly though so I think it was just an issue with my wheel. But, it was still easy to wipe dirt and brake dust off, and powder coating over say anodizing doesn't fade and shouldn't chip off like paint, if done correctly.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
Try Plasti Dip. It is a spray on available at Lowes and places like that. Many colors, you can spray more on for touch ups and peel it off if you get tired of it.

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I mounted these up. Liner tire. Power coated flat
black.Lesson learned. Cover the leading edge with duct tape all the way around. Wrap the spoons with tape. Yes they chip easy on the edge. Black nail polish to the rescue. He was only mad till the first beer... lol

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
I did these. Left the center on the strut and just unbolted them. Semi-black Powder coated.

Posts: 1404 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it is true or not but I have heard that heating the wheel in the oven to cure the powder coat can weaken and possibly damage the wheel itself

Posts: 2402 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Did my rears about 5 years ago had them recertified after doing them so don't know about weakening them but really like the way they clean up.

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sittin duck:
Did my rears about 5 years ago had them recertified after doing them so don't know about weakening them but really like the way they clean up.

I thought about doing my Weld V series a couple of years ago and Weld said they would not re certify them Powdercoated, only if they were anodised

Posts: 2402 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just dropped off a set this morning ,guy said as stated here ,have the place tape up the spoons and edge of the rim . My aluma Stars have seen better days .Charged me 100.00 for fronts and 150.00 for rears . Doing them satin black ,we shall see .

Posts: 179 | Location: Matthews NC | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Please post pics and their finish.

Thx

Posts: 497 | Location: N/A | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bubbletop409
posted Hide Post
When I still had my Lumina I had the center section of my Weld wheels gold anodized, recently I had a set of plain aluminum wheels off of my Z-51 Corvette powder coated gloss black. Both finishes turned out to be both attractive and durable.
Can't remember the anodizing cost, the powder coating was 90 a piece, finish was very attractive on both.

Larry
62 Bel-Air 409
79 Cole TR-2 SunsetRaceCraft 565 RIP TRACY
260 Eliminator Eagle XP HP500EFI
NO MO BOMA
WELL DONE USN SEAL TEAM 6
Proud Deplorable

Posts: 60 | Location: Castro Valley, CA State of Insanity | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Since the above post discussed street use of wheels, if you have ANY coatings with build up applied to wheels with tapered/bulge seat lug nuts you must keep re-torquing the wheels at short mileage intervals. My lack of doing this cost a wheel and a few studs. Flat washer lugs probably not an issue.
BW

Posts: 183 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
In fact, it is not the powder coating process that causes problems normally, it is the people that apply the process.
Powder is only as good at the prep (human) the cure (also human).
Temps and cure times are pretty specific by the powder manufacturer. Whether low cure or high cure somebody has to be on top of the whole process, which does not always happen.
Powder coating workers are in essence, factory workers. They have no clue what the ultimate use or destination of the part. They dont know that your wheel goes on a 2000 hp top dragster or a shtbox. Somebody has to be on top of that , and it does not always happen.
Properly applied powder should not chip off, unless the surface prep was crap, or the powder was under or over cured, or applied too thick, of which all of that happens. Once powder started into translucents, and multi coat, the durability started to go away. Thicker is not better with powder. When you re coat because of a problem with the initial, or because the powder needs a topcoat the durability starts to go away. Everybody can be a coater now, but that is what starts the downslide. No experience, improper cure, improper prep, and the list goes on. Buy a gun from eastwood, go to the local appliance store for a used oven, and whalah, you are now in the pC biz.....

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought about doing my Weld V series a couple of years ago and Weld said they would not re certify them Powdercoated, only if they were anodised

They are correct. The reason why you don't want to powder coat flexplates or rims, is due to the fact that the powder coat will give under the fasteners and therefore not maintain their torque. Anodize will not.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
Someone needs to tell Weld to pull all their powder coated wheels from their lineup!

Posts: 1404 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I had my old draglites done on the Nova years ago. I just wanted the outside done in flat black and they did the whole wheel. I never ran wheel screws in them until I had them powdercoated. It would turn a 1/4 turn or more on every pass without the screws.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post