DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Aluminum Head and Block Repair
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum Head and Block Repair
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I know Chris Frank at Frankenstein engine dynamics in Weatherford can do the complete repair on the head, from welding to finish machining, not sure if they would do the block or not

https://frankensteined.net/

Thanks Steve. I'll check him out and see how far he is backed up.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted October 23, 2022 03:17 PM Hide Post
I know Chris Frank at Frankenstein engine dynamics in Weatherford can do the complete repair on the head, from welding to finish machining, not sure if they would do the block or not

https://frankensteined.

x2 and brodix

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Manufacturers will have all the jigs and whatnot to make sure everything is right and true. I've seen a lot of Brodix repairs on their heads. The CNC versions were re-machined and it was very difficult to even identify the damaged chamber.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 484 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Jeff Naiser in Houston does my serious welding repairs. I know for sure he can fix the heads.

Abbott Racing Heads
(432) 558-2841

Posts: 39 | Location: Crane, Texas | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth:
Jeff Naiser in Houston does my serious welding repairs. I know for sure he can fix the heads.

Thanks

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Just spoke with John at Ferry's. He said he would have them with in the next month. So I'm thinking by the time I took them or sent them someplace else it would take at least that long for anyone else to get them done.
I told him if they are not being worked on or finished at that time I will pick them up and start over.

I have the contact info on the shops/people everyone mentioned. So thanks.

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth:

Thats the other name I was trying to think of in Texas.

Posts: 2403 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of speedwrench44
posted Hide Post
Dave Kotzur Racing in SA did a dart head for me I dropped a valve in. Two week turnaround and looked like new when I got it back

Address: 5436 Schertz Rd, San Antonio, TX 78233

Phone: (210) 590-1540

Dave

Posts: 260 | Location: Heldnfelt, Texas | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave I've added to the list if Ferry doesn't work out.

Dave

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
sunset performance can't do this type of repair?

Posts: 406 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Why would they want to get involved?

The OP IS NOT a customer, not parts sold by them and too busy building new engines and freshening others.

As I’ve already stated, these parts need to go back to the manufacturers but it sounds like the OP already knows that a successful repair is questionable at best.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Why would they want to get involved?

Experience

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by camaro77:
sunset performance can't do this type of repair?

I don't agree with the can't, won't is the correct term. They are way too busy to deal with stuff like this or they would have to charge more than the normal cost to repair to cover the lost dollars from their new builds and freshen ups!

I have done repairs to many AL heads, some are easy, and some eat your lunch! It's like a box of chocolates, just never know what you're gonna get!

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
As I said

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
SPE doesn,t need the experiance lol

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Exactly and they don’t need that type of work.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Check with John Ferry and Ferrys Aluminum Head Repair in Mesquite. He is good and has been a huge help, my motor and heads are going there Monday.

Bruce,
Did you take your stuff to Ferry?
I picked mine up last Monday, I took it to him back in August. Basically untouched, he ground out the cracks, no welding.I ordered a water cooler for my tig and will be welding it up myself.

Good luck.

Dave

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I did and when I get it back you will probably see it. Will be bringing down there to dyno.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3971 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
3 months ago I told you to send t0 back to the manufacturer and you didn't, all you did was waste your time and still have the same mess and now will attempt to fix it yourself and that too will be a waste of time because it will fail!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
3 months ago I told you to send t0 back to the manufacturer and you didn't, all you did was waste your time and still have the same mess and now will attempt to fix it yourself and that too will be a waste of time because it will fail!