DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster goes right at hit.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster goes right at hit.
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
Putting this out there for suggestions.

I have had my car out twice this year. In the past the car will carry the front wheels past the 60' with a .993 - .997 sixty. Suddenly as soon as the car launches it drives to the right and I have to lift. Only does it in the right lane, but has done it every time. First weekend I thought maybe a fluke so did nothing between races.

I have it in the shop now and am going to measure roll out of the tires, then switch them side to side, unless something drastic shows up.

This is a yancer 245 inch car. It's suspension is right behind the cage. Suspension acts like a slip joint but it has shocks/springs.

Never had this issue until now. The only changes made over the winter was moving 30 lbs from just in front of foot box to extreme nose of car in attempt to stop carrying the wheels.

Suggestions??

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I hate to be mr obvious but broken axle?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Swap tires side for side?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Check for any play in the suspension joints. A little there will make big difference. Check your shocks and springs. I agree with swapping tires to eliminate that variable.

Also check whole chassis for any cracks that will make it act stupid.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
Yancer cars are pretty forgiving. I have one with a bunch of runs that had a crack in the chassis and started moving around.

Does the car pull to one side if you let go of the steering wheel?

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Wheelie bar? If yes, how high and how long?

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I hate to be mr obvious but broken axle?

Car has a live axle. But shouldn't be hard to check. Never thought of it though.. Duh..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Swap tires side for side?

Measured tires (within 1/8 inch) Swapped them side to side.

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Check for any play in the suspension joints. A little there will make big difference. Check your shocks and springs. I agree with swapping tires to eliminate that variable.

Also check whole chassis for any cracks that will make it act stupid.

Looked at all this. So far all's good.

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software:
Yancer cars are pretty forgiving. I have one with a bunch of runs that had a crack in the chassis and started moving around.

Does the car pull to one side if you let go of the steering wheel?

Not that I have noticed. Of course I don't let go of the steering. But haven't noticed any pull.

It only goes right when front end is in the air.

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
Wheelie bar? If yes, how high and how long?

Attempted to put a wheelie bar on last weekend but something weird was going on and I could not get it closer than a foot to the ground.
I was so hot and sweaty that I almost passed out so I quit messing with it.
Bar is 60 inches long, single wheel.

Right now sitting in the shop I adjusted it with arch in the suspension and wheel is 7 inches off the ground at the axle when at ride height.
I have no idea what will happen on launch so it could be to close and unload. But I have to start somewhere and I'd rather smoke the tires than hit the guardrail..

Remember this is a Yancer car and it's suspension is right behind the driver not at the very rear of the car.

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
This is what car looks like on a normal pass. Notice oin the picture with wheels upthe bow just behind driver.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Never had this issue until now. The only changes made over the winter was moving 30 lbs from just in front of foot box to extreme nose of car in attempt to stop carrying the wheels.

Suggestions??

Dave

Suggestion, if the only change was the weight move. I would move the weight back in front of the foot box. It would tell you if that was the cause.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Suggestions??

Dave

Suggestion, if the only change was the weight move. I would move the weight back in front of the foot box. It would tell you if that was the cause.

That is my thought also.. Although I really don't see a reason that would cause it to drive right.
Hopefully I can get the wheely bar set quickly without a lot of jacking around.

With the front end coming up so high it has caused me a bunch of round losses. And this was before it started going right.

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Don,
Although I have not found any cracks in my chassis, where did your Yancer crack that caused you issues? I would take a closer look at mine..

Dave

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Shock is topping out, due to the additional weight in the nose.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
in the good ole days when a fed or red engine dragster wanted to go right we just put a 1/2 pound more air in the right tire.

Posts: 12 | Location: Kodak, Tn. | Registered: March 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Only Yancer I could find. Topping out?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
dave here is another W A G if the weight you moved is not precisely in center maybe it is pulling you to one side.compensate with a slight rear steer,it wont affect you with wheels down.remeber it steers like a forklift from rear

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would check chassis really close for cracks also check ear end mounting hardware but other thing I would try is air tires up to like twenty pounds and check circumference

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post