DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Best Way to Kill .3-.4 WITHOUT Restrictor Plate
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Way to Kill .3-.4 WITHOUT Restrictor Plate
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted
Okay, I know we have seen several discussions about this in the past. Can't find any of them the search tool, except Restrictor Plate stuff.

Say you have a meaningful race coming up in 2 weeks. You have one last points race the weekend before it. You do NOT anticipate having any opportunities to play with a new restrictor plate setup, other than the one race, and based on the weather forecasts and number of storms in the Atlantic, you may not get a race in, maybe not even a single run, between now and that "final" meaningful race.

Would like to hear ideas, or what has actually worked for you, or someone you know. Not big on adding 300# of lead to the car.
I know some of us have carried, (and killed), a BUNCH of ET at times, using our eyes, heads, and feet. Cool I would rather not do that for 7 rounds.
I know some tuning tools can do certain things with certain combinations. In this case, the torque curve is flat as heck, and pulling 18* of timing, PLUS short-shifting 1,000 RPM didn't take out but a tenth or maybe .12. Frown

Running an alky 1050, thinking if I get my hands on a gas carb will get me close. I've got a really good gas 850 that I spent years perfecting, but car has a Dominator intake. No idea if anyone makes an adapter for mounting a 4150 carb onto a 4500 manifold, and if so, would it even run right...

And GO. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1033 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Msd grid

Posts: 1435 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
You just use a 4150 to 4500 adapter upside down. Drill the 4500 side threads out to 5/16 and put bolts and nuts through the carb. But if it's a good gas carb it's not worth .3, more like .15-.18.

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say, for purposes of this discussion, we are talking 1/8 mile.

Dan "Jim" Moore

Posts: 1033 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Is this BBC or SBC ?

Glide or 3 speed?

FB, No box or Box car?

Disconnect the secondarys on the carb.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I run a Turbo400 trans and if I leave in 2nd gear it kills .27 and 1mph. This is a 6.50 car. Sure wakes them up when a heads up car gets out a couple of car lengths at the tree and at the end of the track you are right there beside them and 3-4 mph faster. Wink

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I run a Turbo400 trans and if I leave in 2nd gear it kills .27 and 1mph. This is a 6.50 car. Sure wakes them up when a heads up car gets out a couple of car lengths at the tree and at the end of the track you are right there beside them and 3-4 mph faster. Wink

Fern, is this FB or TB leave ??

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Edelbrock 8716 adapter from your favorite parts house, and you'll be in business with the gas carb.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Im with markemark, simple and easy, 2 barrel! I have a buddy that does on a small block alky door car. With the 2 barrel he can go high 660's and the 4 barrel goes 630's with big wheelies!

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Extra qt of oil might get ya there.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I unhooked the secondary's on the Vega, slowed it down .3 no problem.
2100 lb 406 w/glide on e85

Posts: 461 | Location: Indy | Registered: September 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
markemark I leave off the foot, if I leave off the button I will run top where the button belongs. I sometimes change to leaving in 2nd gear right in the middle of a race. Competition thinks you have lost it when they see you dial up 3 right before a run.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
on my stuff if I shift on time .3 out it is 4 tenths vs. shift at 7k. seen this work out on several different combos plus you have almost all of your wide open mph.

ep-

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
What is the motor/trans combo? You may get away with shifting about 1200-1500 RPM above launch if this is a 2 speed set up.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What ep suggested (shift to high gear 0.30 off start line) is the easiest thing to try and does work as he stated. Do not shorten the shift time to less than this. You want the car to clear the stage light the same as in a normal run so that the RT is the same. At 0.30 your car will have cleared this in most TB cars leaving in 1st gear.

Just wire it to your delay box. If you have Grid you can use the timer function in Output Switch to shift with.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,
Sorry about not answering the questions sooner, work is kicking my tail this week.

Will be running Pro (No Box), and using trans brake.

Car is 3600#, 468 BBC, Solid roller (single pattern, .652" lift/264* Dur), TH400 w/Hughes body/brake, 456 gear. Runs 6.8-6.9's in 1/8th.

I wish my trans had the 2nd gear launch option, (Don, funny, I found some messages we exchanged about this subject around 3 years ago or so, when you put that ATI 400 in). Smile

As for short-shifting, car has an ATI Treemaster converter that flashes to 5500. I normally shift at 6800. I tried shifting at 5800, (which basically lit the shift light about .2 or .3 out, and it pretty much stayed on, so I went 1-2 almost immediately, and 2-3 about 2 seconds into the run). May as well have left in high, and to be honest, I thought about doing that, which would then put me launching by foot, which requires counting bulbs, something I was trying to get away from. When I was strictly footbraking this car for 20 years, I got pretty good at it, but have fallen out of practice the past couple years.
I did try unhooking the secondaries on the 850 about 10 years ago, when Div 5 had a 13.0 ET Break for Sportsman. But that was with a smaller, milder 408 CID BBC that ran 12.50's. It didn't get me where I wanted to be, (IIRC, it only slowed maybe 2 tenths at best). But this trick might work with this engine and the dominator, taking away a pair of 2" throttle bores.
Local track has open T&T Friday night, hoping the rain stays away long enough to get in some experimenting...
Keep the ideas coming, all of them are appreciated! Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Run it on 7 cylinders, probably sound like crap but it might get the job done...

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
don't know exact number you will need,but short shifting will kill a bunch. I have been told leaving in high with glide is a .5 drop.So short shifting real quick out of hole should get you in ball park and tweak from there. Heck with two shifts should be easy to zero in on.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
You already have the 850 carb on gas so that is first thing I would try then fine tune it with weight, short shifting and pulling some timing out. I went to alcohol in 1998 and if I remember right it was worth about .4 in the 1/8 mile. So you may get a good chunk of your goal by changing back to gas.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SST386
posted Hide Post
Shift on time and/or 2 bbl.
6.30 car shift at .5 for 6.50
Shift at .5 and disconnect secondary for 7.00

Posts: 361 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: May 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post