DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Errr... Silicone Tubes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Errr... Silicone Tubes
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
I like Permatex brand silicones. Clear, Grey, Black and Red - all seem to do the job when used correctly.

What drives me nuts are the small caps that come on the tubes. I have tried various levels of tightness only to have the cap at some point crack or split which in turn allow the top half of the tube to harden to a rock. Any tips out there for dealing with this? And leaving the pointed cap on there is even worse, no matter what you do it seems like the threads are off a bit and it allows air into the tube.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
You have a choice. Put a small nail in the tube and cap it OR put them in the freezer in a small zip lock bag. And no i haven't lost my mind lol.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Prior to putting the cap on squeeze out a sufficient amount that will fill the cap and mushroom out the bottom edges of the cap. Then FORCE yourself to only use the tips of you fingers to lightly snug the cap. I repeat,FORCE yourself to only slightly snug the cap. The silicone will vulcanize between the cap and thread and will seal out the air. Trust me on this one!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
You have a choice. Put a small nail in the tube and cap it OR put them in the freezer in a small zip lock bag. And no i haven't lost my mind lol.

How about a fridge - got a small one in the garage - would that work? I mean as long as it doesn't interfere with the beer - gotta keep the beer cold ya know.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
At work we get the squirt cans that you push the nozzle to the side to shoot silicone out...

Leave some hanging out after using it and let cure...…

Next time you need it just pull off the cured part and it's good again...

All the tube types go bad laying around for long periods of time after being opened.

Every spring I end up throwing out some tubes in my garage or trailer.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I also have the same issues here at the shop. The best way around it is to use a nail or pop rivet.

I'm sure Permatex is well aware of this issue, been that way forever, but why fix it? It just helps them sell more product...... Roll Eyes

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:

How about a fridge - got a small one in the garage - would that work? I mean as long as it doesn't interfere with the beer - gotta keep the beer cold ya know.

You can try it in the fridge, but put a nail in it too and cap it. Funny story. The old gal was looking in the freezer and noticed it. She said What the *** is that in the fridge? My SA remark was "Silicone lube". Got the look of death, I don't think so!!!!

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
LOL!!