DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Gmc 1500 questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gmc 1500 questions
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
What the avg cost and time to r&r intake gaskets on a 6.0liter LS engine?

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
book gives around 2 to 2.5 hrs.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
B.C. Malibu, are you doing the work yourself?
I did that job twice on my old Silverado, (to replace the knock sensors, which live in the valley pan on a 6.0). Don't know if your truck is a 2WD or 4x4, mine was a 2500 HD 4x4, so it may be quicker/easier on a 2WD half-ton, because you can probably do a lot of the work from standing on the ground, instead of up in the engine bay.
Unless you are a GM tech with a fully-equipped shop, the book estimate is not very realistic for a DIY deal. My 2nd time, was because I first used a crappy AutoZone sensor, that failed after several months. Saved $20, cost plenty in hours to rework. I say that, because if you are replacing yours, change both of them, AND the little pigtail harness that connects them. And use GM sensors. (Rock Auto has them for about half the price of parts stores). Lesson learned!
I documented the procedure, (not video, but plenty of still shots). Would be happy to email the package to you, just post or IM your email address. First round took about 8 hours total, because the truck had over 200,000 miles on it, so I spent a lot of time cleaning road grime off the engine, and a bunch more time cleaning up the manifold before reinstalling it. Use the Fel-Pro intake set. (Not the mega-price one, the standard set is fine). Plastic frames with rubber o-ring seals, neat and easy, no adhesive needed for the job. I basically only needed 8 & 10mm sockets, I used a 1/4" drive ratchet because all fasteners were small and very little torque required. But you will need a long extension, (a 3", 6", and 10-12" will come in handy). Get a 90* pick tool to help release the locks on the electrical connectors at the injectors. Leave the injectors in place, leave fuel rails on intake, get a tool to release the fuel supply and return quick-connects, use care when you remove the intake, the main fuel feed line is hard plastic, it threads through the intake runners, if you bend it too far it will kink or break.
Because mine was all cleaned up for the second time, it went much faster, (and, like most anything, it is familiar and easier than the first time). About 4 hours total. Working at a comfortable pace. Have a full roll of blue paper shop towels handy, (you'll want to stuff wads of them in all the intake ports while you use a putty knife to clean up the heads around the ports. And a couple cans of brake cleaner to spray on the towels and wipe the gasket sealing surfaces. No water passages to mess with. I can also send you a link to the one really good YouTube video I found, many were worthless.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Alldata, Mitchell ect labor guides pay 2.1 hours. I've done a bunch of them and can do them in 20 minutes of less. The gaskets don't give much trouble on 6.0's. If it's a cold misfire, or fuel trim issues make sure the bolts are tight. Sometimes just snugging the bolts will fix these problems. If you're removing the intake to change the oil pressure sender you "can" get to the sender without removing the intake by sacrificing some skin on your arm. If it's to change the knock sensors get the knock sensor harness too. Regardless, when the intake is off seal the rubber plugs over the knock sensors with silicone. Water intrusion is what usually damages knock sensors.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
2wd 1500hd 6.0L 230K on it.
It misfires when cold and has gotten worse as time has gone by.
My nieces boyfriend wants $300 for the job,I do have the gaskets.

Sorta wondering if its easier to pay him and put
the overtime in at work instead.
Never played with an LS engine.

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Like Woody said , Its a 30 min. job tops. Just make sure the trash and dirt is out of the intake ports and your good to go.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Put gm sensors in it ....don't be cheap on them . Amazon intake gasket , 2 knock sensors and harness around 100.00 bucks . 30 min labor easy job. How long since plugs ? Cold mis at times are plugs too .

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:
Never played with an LS engine.

That is where I was at also, and this is why I don't believe it would be a 30 minute job for a DIY'er. For an experienced and trained GM tech who has done this job several times, and has a fully equipped shop, yes, maybe. (Assuming engine is already been cleaned up, and has none of the 200K miles worth of dirt built up around the intake ports). My 2nd time, I was not in a hurry, (and I am a-n-a-l about cleaning parts up, and not letting crap fall into my engine), but I could have probably shortened it to 1-2 hours. If I did it every day, yeah, could probably do better than that. If the nieces BF knows what he is doing, you could go that way, but sounds kinda steep, anyone know what dealer charge is?
I agree with considering a spark plug change first, and also snugging the bolts on the intake. 10 of them, easy to reach with assorted extensions. And use the Iridium plugs. Pricey, but they last over 100,000 miles. Have heard of alternative plugs misfiring. GM uses the Iridiums, and there is probably a reason they spend the coin to do so. Rock Auto has best price, maybe some on Amazon are close.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
6k on the plugs.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:
6k on the plugs.

OK, should be good there. Are they Iridium plugs? AC Delco or Bosch?
Is it throwing any codes or lights?

Dan "Jim" Moore

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Check engine lights on. Misses and lean pops until it warms up.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a code scanner, go to AutoZone or O'Reilly and ask them to scan for trouble codes. They do it for free. If they don't give you a hardcopy printout of the diagnostic codes, ask them for it.
(They usually try to sell you the part that their computer identifies as "most likely cause" - Don't fall for it, just thank them and say you want to consider your options).
Let us know what codes it throws.

Dan "Jim" Moore