New
Find
Notify
Tools

16 v Lithium
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Help me understand the reason for converting to two (2) 16 volt lithium batteries vs the single 16 volt XS battery I now use? I would need 2, one will not be sufficient for my application.

I researched the cost of two Altronics 16 volt lithium batteries, the charger and the new installation tray.

So unless I missed something the total cost was $3,090.

$2500 for the two batteries ($1250 X 2)
$199 for the charger
$149 for the new battery tray
$242 California sales tax
Shipping charge 0 (lets call that free)

All this to save what 14 pounds (2 lithium batteries @ 9# each and the 11# alternator = 29 pounds)? That would reduce the 43# weight of the single XS 16 volt battery, (no alternator) by 14 pounds.

Bottom line = This comes to $3090 divided by 14 or in simple terms, $220.71 per pound saved.

Net weight loss for the 2100 pound car = 14 pounds (.0067) while my Bank account is now lighter by $3,090.

What the he!! am I missing?

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
$3090 ? who said racing was a sound financial decision to begin with lol .... one could run a Yugo but most racers do not .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Help me understand the reason for converting to two (2) 16 volt lithium batteries vs the single 16 volt XS battery I now use? I would need 2, one will not be sufficient for my application.

I researched the cost of two Altronics 16 volt lithium batteries, the charger and the new installation tray.

So unless I missed something the total cost was $3,090.

$2500 for the two batteries ($1250 X 2)
$199 for the charger
$149 for the new battery tray
$242 California sales tax
Shipping charge 0 (lets call that free)

All this to save what 14 pounds (2 lithium batteries @ 9# each and the 11# alternator = 29 pounds)? That would reduce the 43# weight of the single XS 16 volt battery, (no alternator) by 14 pounds.

Bottom line = This comes to $3090 divided by 14 or in simple terms, $220.71 per pound saved.

Net weight loss for the 2100 pound car = 14 pounds (.0067) while my Bank account is now lighter by $3,090.

What the he!! am I missing?

Bob
YOU AINT MISSING NOTHING.....

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
X2 and that's why neither of my cars has a lithium battery in addition to cold start issues, bump over issues and the occasional fire. Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Bob you would NEVER need 2 Altronics. Unless you have 2 cars. Period.

SL...

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
One of the guys that I travel with (Dennis Blehm) has a Super Street '67 Nova and had to use two lithium batteries to power everything so I used his experience as a requirement guide.

That said let me re-calculate the cost vs weight savings benefit with one lithium battery not including the cost of the alternator or any freight charges.

One Lithium battery - $1250
One battery charger - $199
One Lithium battery tray - $149
California State sales tax - $135.83
Shipping Expense - Zero for the sake of conversation.

Total cost - $1733.83 to lose 23 pounds = $75.38 per pound. Better, but still well above my cost vs benefit ratio.

One last thing to mention, and not trying to be argumentative just factual, it didn't make any difference in Dennis's car.

Bob

ps: FYI the current cost of titanium is $30.00 per pound.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RPROGAS,

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Go Lithium is much cheaper than stated so far including 2 batteries amd and a charger.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t see why the argument... if you don’t want to use lithium for whatever reason then don’t. You don’t need 2 , although they crank better on 2, and certainly don’t have to have a alternator . I ran one battery for a lot of years before I put the second one on, only started slow on a cold day on the very first start up.... haven’t run a alternator in 10 years or so...

Not directed at anyone in particular either

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
Do you need 2 of the Altronics batteries with a alternator or one? I run one XS D1600 with a alternator now and have no trouble doubling but I do stress a little when they start turning us around really quickly in later rounds if still in with both entries.

I use one battery and NO alternator. Never had a problem. I think an alternator is a good idea, but I don't want it charging during the run, just never got around to putting one on.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My Stratus runs a single battery and NO alternator.

As for carrying a spare, if I ran a 16V AGM, which I have and also carried a spare. Not like I can go down to Napa a buy a replacement. AS for life I swap them out on occasion and make sure they stay charged, after all pretty useless to carry if it dont work. If you like 12 volt stuff then feel free to use it. Most folks tend to carry spares that would not be easy to source quickly locally parts specific to their combo or set up.

As for cost a single GoLithium battery and charger is currently $995, been plenty to start our BB in the dragster. Oh yeah it has its share of titanium fasteners as well. Its a Mopar we ned all the help we can get

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
quote:
f you have to keep a backup battery(s) for your lithium one, why would you even buy that to start with? Makes no sense to me...

no sense is not having spare parts and traveling hours to race .... or having to find a source and waste time . why haul around a extra mount ...lmao

Really!!! Is this Mike Retread using a hidden user name? Big Grin

BTW, my car was built with a normal sized battery tray located mid car. Since then with increasing power plants, more weight needed up front hence the battery relocation. No hauling of a spare mount required, it's all attached.

So again, to be clear, for me it makes no sense to carry a spare battery nor would I ever install a pink elephant battery either.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'll be installing a battery tray right behind the front wheels in the offseason for a full size battery. Then I'll decide what battery or batteries I'll be running in 2021.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The Vette has the battery as far forward as we can mount it. It still uses a 12 volt system and probably the only heads up car on the planet with an alternator. Oh yeah we carry a spare battery for it to. Not like we can find a small Odyssey battery at NapaRazz

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
If you have to keep a backup battery(s) for your lithium one, why would you even buy that to start with? Makes no sense to me...

Dont most folks who travel and race keep a backup battery in their trailer? I know I do for both cars. Never know when you might need it.

We have 2 light Altronics with dual charger in the GTO and a std 16 volt battery plug in for running the valves and cool down. The reason for dual light 16 is this guy left the fan on in the lanes and you guessed it...And bigger motors crank harder.. Stocker has 2x 16 with an SD 40 amp alt. Runs at 18.5.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post