New
Find
Notify
Tools

16 v Lithium
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Which 16 V lithium batteries are you guys running and which ones do you suggest? Thanks in advance

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
You will hear a lot of opinions on different brands. We run the Altronics. As far as I know they are the only ones to offer a 4 year full replacement warranty. Use promo code BFDRR20 to save 15 percent through cyber Monday.

We've used them since 2015 with alternators. Double Entry no issue. I'd recommend the larger charger for fast full charge turnaround.

SL...

Posts: 2111 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm not and none but I can tell you that Peter Biondo runs Altronics too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
go lithium for the win

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
I use and sell the Altronics batteries.

Mine is from 2015 and still works exactly the same as it did 5 years ago. Charges in 12 to 15 minutes. I can turn the battery off with a switch on the top, for up to 3 months without losing any voltage.

Contact me for pricing.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
Do you need 2 of the Altronics batteries with a alternator or one? I run one XS D1600 with a alternator now and have no trouble doubling but I do stress a little when they start turning us around really quickly in later rounds if still in with both entries.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
one, besides Peter, his friend and mine runs one Altronics Pro Series lithium with an alternator and no issues. My dragster may have one for next season too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Any drawbacks/negatives other than cost when going 16 V lithium?

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Cold starts, bumping engine over and the occasional fire Shake head

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I used the go lithium in 2020 in my blower car...good results so far.

I had the altronics...bought in 2015...done in 2 years no warranty back then...small charger took a crap too inside of 2 years. Was told could last up to 10 years...it didn't. The older battery from altronics did not have the features the batteries they sell today do. I spent alot of money on this for a short life IMO.

Used my 1st lithium batteries from Batteries R US in a race car as far back as 2009, spent alot of money on it back then to only last 1 year...the lithiums are better today for sure.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Very happy with my 2 go lithiums

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Only 1 battery necessary. It seems the new cells handle the cold weather better than the old ones as we had some cold weather at the end of the year and didn't experience the slow cold cranking that we did with the first batteries.

Posts: 2111 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
Any drawbacks/negatives other than cost when going 16 V lithium?

I believe most 16 volt batteries have more voltage but less cold cranking amps. The lithium batteries appear to be worse. If I GoLithium I will run 2 of them and alternator. Some of the early lithium batteries had problems like fires and did not last long. Seems like the GoLithium is the one I would go with. Never heard of any problems with the GoLithium.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
do a lot of research , i use braille . cold temps are not a lithiums friend at all . keep a lithium charged up also . drawing them down dead will ruin one and can be the cause of overheating later also . i also keep AGM batteries in the trailer every where i go for a backup .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I use voltphreaks

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
do a lot of research , i use braille . cold temps are not a lithiums friend at all . keep a lithium charged up also . drawing them down dead will ruin one and can be the cause of overheating later also . i also keep AGM batteries in the trailer every where i go for a backup .

If you have to keep a backup battery(s) for your lithium one, why would you even buy that to start with? Makes no sense to me...

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Had ZERO issues with Go Lithium. We use one in the dragster with a House of Payne adjustable regulator alternator with no issues. These days many if the issues with lithium battery fires are using the wrong chargers or a non regulated alternator. The charge at a much lower voltage than a STD 16v battery

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
If you have to keep a backup battery(s) for your lithium one, why would you even buy that to start with? Makes no sense to me...

Dont most folks who travel and race keep a backup battery in their trailer? I know I do for both cars. Never know when you might need it.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:

Dont most folks who travel and race keep a backup battery in their trailer? I know I do for both cars. Never know when you might need it.

A race car certain provides a less than optimal environment for a battery but, and as with anything, normal maintenance and or replacement certainly reduces battery failures. Normally batteries just don't die all of a sudden, they give you a warning. (Maybe not lithium's) I use a small 12v battery in the front of my dragster therefore the cables to the starter & ground are much longer than normal. This deal starts a 632 CID motor for 3 years with no issues. I know one thing for sure, I can't carry spares for every dam part on the car so things like car batteries that can be purchased locally that provide reliable service are not on my spares list. I also have a second battery mount to accept a normal size car battery just in case. As far as keeping a spare battery in your trailer goes, if you got a pink elephant for a battery, I guess you have no choice, but otherwise it doesn't make much sense to me.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
quote:
f you have to keep a backup battery(s) for your lithium one, why would you even buy that to start with? Makes no sense to me...

no sense is not having spare parts and traveling hours to race .... or having to find a source and waste time . why haul around a extra mount ...lmao

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post