DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Master cylinder question....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Master cylinder question....
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Do SOME master cyl. have a built in means of applying more to the front wheels than the rears? I want to remove a line lock. These are manual brakes. Can one master cyl. exit line service the fronts and the other exit service the rears? I don't see any proportioning valve ANYWHERE.

Posts: 79 | Location: Mooresville, nc | Registered: October 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
one line to rear one to front.some are for drum om both ends some are for drum and disc.the disc will have built in residual valve.you will need to use a manual differential most likely to be safe

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1406 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I drove a car one time where a ball valve was in the drivers compartment to shut off fluid flow to the rear brakes

Posts: 787 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
one line to rear one to front.some are for drum om both ends some are for drum and disc.the disc will have built in residual valve.you will need to use a manual differential most likely to be safe

What is "manual differential"? For 4 wheel disc brake, can't equal force be applied to front and rear...... no proportioning valve?

Posts: 79 | Location: Mooresville, nc | Registered: October 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
you should be able to get a master cylinder to do thatit will have built in residual valves

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1406 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
most drag cars reduce braking to front to avoid locking of front wheels

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do SOME master cyl. have a built in means of applying more to the front wheels than the rears? I want to remove a line lock. These are manual brakes. Can one master cyl. exit line service the fronts and the other exit service the rears?

Not that I know of .........

Usually just use an adjustable proportioning valve if you need to adjust front to rear pressures.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Step bore master cys apply more pressure to one section than the other. S10's used step bores in some years. Most MC's are the same bore so the same size piston with the same pressure applied to the pedal applies equal pressure to each port. Some cars split the brakes diagonally lf/rr rf/lr.
Residual valves are used on drum brakes or if the MC is below the calipers. Factory cars haven't used residual valves on the drum end in many years, they control the fluid flow in the wheel cyls.

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
Not that I know of .........
Usually just use an adjustable proportioning valve if you need to adjust front to rear pressures.

^^^ This. I use a Strange Engineering B3369 adjustable proportioning valve. It cost about $50 several years ago, and works very well. You turn a knob to make adjustments, so mount it where it is reasonably accessible. Just remember, the valve simply allows you to REDUCE the pressure through the line on which it is installed. On a drag car, you install it on the front brake system, to keep them from locking up, because you have a lot more tire on the rear. (It is the opposite on a street car, you would install it on the rear line to keep them from locking up before the fronts).

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post