New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSD Connector
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Anyone else have trouble with the green/purple wire connectors not always making good contact when plugging in the cable from the box to the pickup? Best solution?

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I just change them to Weatherpack connectors.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I use small zip ties to hold them together. Had one come apart in a burnout in the past,

Like the weatherpack connectors also but the tie wrap works.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
I use small zip ties to hold them together. Had one come apart in a burnout in the past,

Like the weatherpack connectors also but the tie wrap works.

x2 on the zip ties. Thought about weatherpack but was worried about swapping out pickups in a rush.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Spare pickup has a Weatherpack on it.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I just change them to Weatherpack connectors.

X2 on this or better yet Deutsch connectors. As for spares as said above if you are doing this its good to have spares that have the connectors already on them or have extra connectors with you.

I have also done the wire tie deal which is effective as well.

I do all of the wiring for dirt modified team and they run nothing but deutsch connectors on all of their stuff. They also have spares ready to go with connectors as well though.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Deutsch connectors are awesome! I even bought the special crimping tool for them. Have not used a nicer connector. Pretty sure MSD sells them, got mine from Mouser.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I am not sure anyone cares about updates, but it turns out the MSD connector was not the problem. I found a loose wire splice at another location. Plugging and unplugging the connector pulled on the wire just enough to cause it to disconnect itself at the splice. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe C:
I am not sure anyone cares about updates, but it turns out the MSD connector was not the problem. I found a loose wire splice at another location. Plugging and unplugging the connector pulled on the wire just enough to cause it to disconnect itself at the splice. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ok, I’m curious. Why would you need to splice into the ignition trigger signal?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I did not do a very good job explaining what happened. The distributor connector wire with connector runs close enough to other wires that when I pulled on the connector it bumped the other wires just enough to "disturb" a connection of three other wires. I did not splice into the wire connected to the distributor. Your question is a good one after I reread my post.